What not to wear at the gym

Learn the rules and abide by them.

clothing fashion gym opinion sport

With the New Year came floods of fresh meat to the PEC. Clearly, what their New Year’s resolutions didn’t include was fashion sense (or common sense, in most cases).

For every new ‘Lifter’ and ‘Cardio Queen’ (yes, I heard someone refer to themselves as that, non-ironically) here are the official ‘Dos and Don’ts’ of gym attire.

1. Footwear

DO rock Nike. They come in multiple colours and generally make you look like you know what you’re doing.

You won’t miss me in the PEC.

DON’T wear high top converse (seriously boys, you’re not Michael Jordan), HI-TECs or what’s known affectionately in Belfast as ‘gutties’.

Gutties especially will make it obvious that you haven’t participated in sport since you were in school. Nevermind that they look ridiculous, they aren’t even practical. If you don’t take your footwear seriously, you won’t take your workout seriously.

Barry the Blender rocking the slightly more acceptable gutties t-shirt

2. Tops

DO fit your shape with ClimaCool ready tank tops and running tops. Warning – know your shape and always try before you buy with fitted gymwear, a muffin top on the treadmill’s not a great look.

DON’T show too much skin. Bra tops are A BIG NO-NO. Also for guys, overly revealing tank tops will just get you labelled a ‘poser’.

Realistically, none of us look like this. Even if you do, it’s distracting for people who actually want to do a workout without crying into our exercise mats.

Also, wearing hoodies, or worse cardigans whilst on a treadmill makes it very obvious that you don’t plan on doing much, or even on breaking a sweat.

3. Bottoms

DO wear gym leggings. They’re comfortable, they’re flexible and they are breathable. What’s not to like?

DON’T wear fashion sweatpants. Not only will you stick out like a sore thumb as ‘fresh meat’ but you’ll overheat in 5 minutes.

Leave the Hollister at home, where it belongs.

4. Head-wear

This is an important section that shouldn’t exist, as you should never wear head-wear to the gym. Ever.

DON’T wear backwards baseball caps. You’re inside and working with machines which it would definitely get in the way of, at points. Personally, I don’t think there are any instances backwards baseball caps are acceptable. Burn it.

Don’t be the JB of the gym.

I have seen boys in the PEC wear beanie hats. Now is not the time to show everyone how hipster you are and we don’t care how greasy your hair is today – it’s not like we all look our best either.

Gym selfies: totally acceptable if you wear the right attire

Do us regulars a favour, stick to the rules for everyone’s sake.