Trends for under a tenner

Worried you’re going to blow your loan on clothes within the month? Follow our thrifty fashion guide to save yourself a fortune and look good too.

fashion

It was the day that every student looks forward to – the day of the student loan. It would be  a grim January without it, and now we’re all feeling pretty flush. But the sad reality is student loans go pretty fast, and soon you’ll be crying over your bank statements and regretting your last impulse buy.

With that in mind, The Tab decided to think of our poor bank balances and plan ahead this time around. Instead of blowing hundreds in Topshop and online because ‘it’s not really spending money if it’s not cash’, we set out to find budget buys and put together a chic-but-cheap outfit for under a tenner.

As it turns out, being thrifty is harder than it looks.

Macklemore made it seem so easy…

First we headed to Primark, mecca to skint students everywhere.

Primark, £5

I am very aware that as a woman, we feel the need to have a Mary Poppins type bag that we can put everything into so that we are covered for every eventuality. This monochrome number is the perfect example. It’s big enough to carry the basic essentials, with a simple design that oozes Primani sophistication and versatility with different outfits – so price per wear is temptingly low. The little bow adds a touch of femininity so it doesn’t feel too business-like; cute.

New Look, £9.99

Then onto New Look, great for bargains and less likely to get you trampled to death than Primark.

This bodycon number is suitable for anyone, but especially those who are proud of their curves and people who like prints. Not too fancy or formal, it can take you from lecture to pints with ease and can easily be dressed up or down, with a statement necklace, or with a plain white ‘T’ and converse to highlight the print. Sorted for all occasions in one fail swoop.

New Look, £9.99

We also found this cute short-sleeved heart print shirt in New Look, a bargain at under a tenner. The patterned shirt, a great way of bringing colour into your wardrobe if you’re a bit wary and live day to day in safe blacks, is everywhere at the moment, and this New Look number is a cheaper version of other heart print blouses on the high street.

The short length means it works for loads of outfits, and the print is perfect for Valentines Day coming up – either as a present from a thrifty date (lucky you) or as a present to yourself. Because why not.

New Look, £9.99

This cute and cheap dress would also be perfect for a Valentine’s date, and if you’re not feeling particularly romantic can be toughened up easily with a leather jacket and look like a new outfit all over again.

For just a tenner you can make it last all year round, with wooly tights in winter and sandals when (and if) it gets warmer. It also suits all body types. So potentially, you could let your friend buy it and borrow it at leisure for absolutely free.

Thrifted, £7

Leaving the high street behind we decided to try to go thrift-shopping for real and headed to Botanic, where thrift shops and cute vintage finds are everywhere.

Don’t judge charity shops as a haven just for grannies. They are in fact a great place to find unusual and interesting pieces at a reasonable price! Like this cute military jacket picked up for less than the price of a pizza. Yes it does look a bit formal, but it can be made casual with a pair of jeans, and it makes a great statement jacket for an even better price!

Think you can do better? Email us with your best thrifty fashion finds at [email protected] or tweet us your #ootd’s @TheTabBelfast