17 things you’ll only understand if you’re a rower

Rowers are a distinctive type of student.

The sport looks mad to the outside world, and you have to be a little mad to even give it a go, but from inside the boat club it is even worse.

We’ve rounded up 17 things only those students from the crazy world of rowing will understand.

1) Lycra is totally acceptable anywhere and everywhere

It is possibly the most comfortable material ever invented. Need a quick nap? Throw on some lycra and get cosy.

2) A ‘farmers tan’ has nothing on a ‘one piece tan’

You’re so proud of your achievement until you wear shorts or a top that don’t match the lines when you’re on holiday and everyone looks at you like you’re peculiar

3) Showers can be so so painful

Shampooing is a no go around 50% of the year but it’s warm in there so we’re going to stay in there forever (except to eat)

4) What hell actually looks like (and its appearance in daily training throughout the winter)

5) The one-occasion flip-flops and socks are acceptable

You may look like an embarrassing dad but there’s a very sensible reason for it. Any other time and this is not acceptable in any circumstance. Everything is quicker in flip-flops.

6) What real hunger feels like

It’s 11am and you’ve had two breakfasts. You’ve been in class for 2 hours, although it feels about 6, and your stomach has been making those noises. Shhhhh stomach, there’s only an hour left, we can do it.

7) Rigger Jiggers and the need to carry them everywhere

Getting stopped at airport security and explaining it to a non-rower can be difficult, but is normal, even when you’re not actually on a rowing trip. You never know the plane might need some 10mm screws tightening and you’re the one to save the day

8) Camel toes can be a good thing

They mean you (if you’re a girl) have been pushing super hard and haven’t cared enough to realise. Not sorting this situation out before the post-race photos is not okay, however.

9) Having a small cox is always a good thing

10) Getting upstairs is really f***ing hard

If it wasn’t the weights session you did yesterday morning or the circuits session last night, it was definitely the erg you did this morning. Why oh why is there such thing as a third floor?

11) Competition is your life; you will do anything to win

Alcohol will exacerbate this and it can be embarrassing, but it’s so worth it. You will probably have motivational quotes placed around your room, mirror or changing room, if not in a secret file on your computer. You more than likely follow those motivational Twitter accounts, Instagram accounts and ‘like’ anything fitness related on Facebook. A lot of them you laugh at because they talk about rest days and one step at a time, when in reality all rowers know it’s ‘row hard or row home’.

12) Rowing is better than sex

13) The physio is your new best friend

14) A lie in is anything beyond 6am

“Oh you had to get up for class at 8am? I feel so bad for you. I’d rowed 20k and had 2 breakfasts by then.” On that one rest day the coach grants you a season, you wake up panicking about missing training and then sleep until approximately 3pm before positioning yourself on the sofa for the evening.

15) Any form of clothing with ‘rowing’, ‘crew’ or ‘boathouse’ is only for rowers

“I didn’t realised you were a rower? Oh wait, its Jack Wills Boat Club. Doesn’t matter.”

16) The need to walk around in club kit is infectious

It also means that you can walk around with your eyes falling out of your head and your hair scraped back and it be ok because ‘University Boat Club’ is on the back of your hoodie. It’s an excellent excuse for anything.

17) Sleeping anywhere is ok

Whether it’s your lecture or the library. You’ve had a hard day so far and the lecturer won’t notice if you just take a quick nap (they’re lucky you even turned up). The snoring may give you away.

.