Good riddance to “Blurred Lines”!

Blurred Lines? More like Blurred morals. It’s about time Queen’s Student’s Union banned it!

So, as of last week, Robin Thicke’s single “Blurred Lines” was banned from being played in the SU by Student Council, becoming the latest of many universities to axe the song. Well, about time Queens!

I can’t help but picture Robin Thicke when I hear this song, he looks like that creepy uncle who makes things awkward just by walking into a room with trousers so tight you would think he has severe rickets when he walks.

Council moved to ban the song based on the opinion that it’s “degrading to women and contains connotations about rape culture” which is something I agree with. There should be no blurred lines of consent in our SU and it should feel like a safe space for everyone.

The “lad” culture in SU at night time is bad enough without this song playing 4 times in one night. The lyrics alone, deemed triggering and encouraging of rape culture by many, encourage men to think it’s ‘ok’ to “smack that ass” of the women surrounding them, thinking they’ll get away with it because they’re “just dancing!”

Well, no. That’s not how it works. I am sick to death of people grabbing my ass and touching my hips when I’m walking past them in a night club. This isn’t a petting zoo ‘Lad’, hands off.

I’m not a misandrist, and women are partly to blame for this too. I have seen women dancing provocatively to this song when drunk, subconsciously taking in the message that it’s okay to be treated like a slut by men. This is why ‘Blurred Lines’  should be censored, it’s not music, at least not good music: it’s just derogatory.

Robin Thicke himself said “We were just trying to make a funny song and sometimes the lyrics can get misconstrued when you’re just trying to put people on the dance floor and have a good time.”  Sounds like Thicke is backtracking to get himself out of trouble. “I didn’t mean it! It’s just a joke!” I’ve heard that one before.

The stairway into the “Lad” pool… now slightly less sexist!

Let’s face it Thicke, she doesn’t “want it” and we don’t want it in our SU either.