Snapchatters: socialites or showoffs?!

Is Snapchat ruining the way we socialise with each other?

Snapchat has been a big thing for a few months now. It seems like we are all taking ‘selfies’ in public shamelessly just because we’re assuming everyone else knows that it’s not for us; we’re just sending a Snapchat to our friend who just took a picture of herself with no makeup on, wrapped in a duvet that makes her look like a hung over human burrito.

Rori’s ‘hard at work’ face

I’ll admit, I took a while to warm up to Snapchat, it’s difficult getting to grips with exposing yourself in that way, but as I gained confidence I too joined the Snapchat bandwagon.

Now, more people than ever have seen how beautiful I am without make-up on (heavy sarcasm).

My attempt at shameless public Snapchatting

What I can’t understand is people who use Snapchat to show off… “Look what I just made for dinner” “just dyed my hair!” “Finally finished essay”.

Do we really need to not only tell the world but illustrate that we have succeeded in something?! Are we in an era of constantly wanting more attention but never being fully satisfied with ourselves?

I originally began using Snapchat because, being a big feminist, I saw some good potential in it. “Finally!” I thought, “People can see what real women look like (when they’re relaxed with no makeup on) and they won’t be judged because everyone is doing it.”

The lovely Alisha socialising

I thought this would create a new era of self-confident women who didn’t need anyone’s approval to show the world that they’re happy, healthy and don’t need Photoshop to look naturally beautiful.

Well, I’m starting to question this. On a daily basis thousands of people are receiving pointless Snapchats from people, illustrating what they’re doing… instead of actually getting on with it.

Bought a new shirt? Good. Wear it. Don’t tell me about it. Eating a fudge Sundae? Then stop taking a picture of it and eat the bloody thing before it melts!

My point is, we should be living our lives and enjoying every moment instead of taking pictures we’re never going to look at again and showing off to our friends who will rarely mention the Snapchat picture you sent them, because they’re so busy showing off to others.

I say to hell with all social networks, let’s actually BE social!