Compulsory redundancies announced for uni staff

Uh-oh

A staggering 100 staff jobs are at stake, as the £96 million refurbishment project is well under way.

This week, Aston announced up to 100 members of staff will face compulsory redundancy as part of the budget cuts.

The jobs under threat include administration positions within the Languages and Social Sciences and Aston’s Business School, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, International Office and Estates and Security.

11245085_10206954412808260_675145117_o

Imminent job cuts within Aston Univeristy to balance out spending costs.

Academics are pleading with uni bosses to spare the compulsory redundancies, as the huge renovation of campus, including work on the Main Building and a brand new Medical School, continue to go ahead.

The redevelopment has contributed to massive budget cuts, and now anxious staff are waiting to hear who will lose their jobs and when.

A spokesperson for the University confirmed a consultation review is now in process, and the University will consider the recommendations reported back.

They refused to confirm the total number of jobs set to go.

They said: “The number of staff roles being considered is not definite – but will be less than the 100 being reported.

“We are committed to finding redeployment opportunities for as many colleagues as possible. People are core to our philosophy and that continues to be so.”

Building work has been going on on campus for a while now

First year English Language student Sammie Liu told The Tab: “I was really surprised about English dropping so far in the league tables, and now they’re making 100 members of staff redundant, it’s crazy.”

Tayler Day, a first year French student, added: “I’m glad main building is being renovated because some parts are really old, but at what cost?

“The redundancies don’t seem very fair, surely the uni can cut spending in other areas to save jobs.”

Chairwoman of UCU’s Aston Branch, Dr Pam Lowe has urged Aston to ensure there will be no compulsory redundancies.

She said: “We are deeply concerned about the implications of these redundancies for both staff and students.

“While we do understand the university faces financial challenges, these can not be dealt with by losing jobs and displacing the work onto other already over-burdened staff, without serious implications for the staff concerned and the students who study here.”

This comes after the news Aston has dropped out of the top 30 in The Guardian University League Tables 2016, with subjects such as English Language and Business and management dropping to 37th and 31st place respectively.

@katielouisex__

NOW WATCH:
The Tab Aston The Tab Aston News