Aston slides 11 places in devastating league tables

But at least we are still ranked first for Health Professions

Our beloved university has plummeted out of the top 30 in latest uni rankings.

The Guardian University League Tables 2016 rank Aston 33rd, a drop of 11 places from last year.

The news is even more upsetting after we climbed eight places the year before, putting us in a glorious 22nd position.

But some subjects still shine, as Aston is rated first for Optometry,12th for Pharmacy and 15th for Economics.

Some subjects haven’t done as well as Optometry. English Language fell to 37th, and Business and Management dropped to 31st.

The rankings have been based on factors such as student satisfaction, standard of teaching, and opinions on modules, creating an overall score out of 100.

Student satisfaction is at a high 88.5 per cent – a massive 18.1 per cent increase from last year’s tables.

Employability has also gone up by 2.8 per cent.

UoB stayed put at 17th, but BCU gained two places to land 86th. Not quite a threat yet though.

Although having dropped 11 places in this ranking, last month Aston rose 11 places in the Times Higher Education 100 under 50 tables. You win some, you lose some.

Emily Downes, a second year studying French and Spanish said: “I’m really surprised and disappointed Aston has dropped 11 places.

“I really enjoy being at the University as it offers lots of different opportunities. Plus it has the perfect course for me.”

And it seems our rivalries have increased, we’re now not only competing with University of Birmingham and Birmingham City University, but now the distant Coventry, who placed a surprising 15th.

Chloe Mills, a second year Biology student was mortified with the results.

She told The Tab: “I’m embarrassed Coventry beat us.”

With the scheduled transformations, such as the new SU and the world-class medical school, looking to change the face of Aston over the coming years, let’s hope the university picks up its game, and doesn’t keep plummeting down the tables at this alarming rate.

NOW WATCH:
The Tab Aston The Tab Aston News