Aber BNOC of the year: Group Three

It’s a big one

You’ve voted for two groups so far, giving us finalists Ruairi Willis and Jack Reed. Now it’s time to pick a third finalist.

Who will win the third BNOC crown of Aberystwyth? You decide – voting is now open. Round four will follow soon.

Pasi Chi

From creating library assistance robots to throwing the biggest party Penglais has seen so far this year, Pasi Chi has been making waves on campus from his very first day.

Who else but Pasi Chi could throw a garden party up at Penglais Farm with bubbles, giant jenga, free shots from Libertines and a waterfight? A crowd of over 100 people turned up.

But according to the nominations, he’s so much more than a party king of Aber, and “single-handedly responsible for nearly half our class passing first year” due to the creation of a study group that re-explains lectures to those that needed to catch up. Now he gets applauded when he walks into lectures.

Some students are academically excellent and study hard. Some students prefer to spend their time getting intimate with the Aber night life. To be able to not just do both, but excel at both, is a rare skill.

Bev Murphy

It’s one thing being a big name in your society or sport, it’s another thing when that club is Tarannau, the American Footballers. Tarannau is basically a BNOC in itself, one of the big institutions of sport at Aberystwyth, so to be on committee two years in a row (secretary last year, President this year) is one hell of an achievement.

A club insider bares all, “He’s been one of the biggest parts of Tarannau, and a genuinely nice person. He’s not a BNOC for being a knob, he’s just a decent guy who works hard for his club and knows everyone because he’s always out.”

Jake Stennett 

Crazy, brilliant, or stupid? Anyone who leaves their dissertation until 36 hours before the deadline has got to be a mixture of both, but the absolute marathon in which Jake completed his dissertation propelled him to BNOC-hood.

But he wasn’t exactly a nobody before then, with nominations describing him as “seldom seen, but what makes a good night great”, and someone whom “everybody knows, but nobody sees.”

Other than leaving his dissertation to the last minute and being the most exclusive member of a night out in Aber, Jake made waves for his campaign for education officer last year, when a fake election poster was released that caused his campaign to be suspended.

Ben Murphy

Brother and competitor of Bev Murphy. “Chats shit, doesn’t get banged.”