Starbucks “Speak English or get out” row didn’t happen

The store conducted an internal investigation

Dark Gate Starbucks came under a lot of criticism after Ceredigion-born Welsh classical soprano Gwawr Edwards tweeted the branch directly on Twitter to complain about a customer being told to “speak English or get out” after trying to order in Welsh.

But an internal investigation has found it did not happen.

The complaint prompted Welsh language campaigners to condemn the comments and call for a boycott of the branch.

Investigations were launched both internally by the branch and by Starbucks’ UK head office, and while the investigation by HQ has yet to be completed, the franchisee of the branch has said that nothing like that actually happened in the store.

Mr Khan, the franchisee, said : “We employ five or six out of 13 staff who are Welsh speakers and are committed to being a part of the community.

“If something like that would have happened we’d have known.

“We have spent time investigating whether this had happened, but we are certain that it didn’t.”

He added: “If we had done something wrong, we’d stand up and say so. Staff in the store are distraught over the allegations and the comments they are receiving because of it.”