Netball team criticised after tour t-shirts insult disabled

It has been ‘dealt with accordingly’

The University have criticised the netball team after they wore t-shirts which said: “Mong gimme dat shlong”.

The club allegedly wore the t-shirts with the slogan printed on the back while on SportsVest 2016 tour in Lloret de Mar, Spain, last week.

The word “mong” is commonly perceived as a derogatory way to describe disabled people, and as such was considered inappropriate for a sportsperson representing the university to wear.

While “mong” wasn’t censored on the t-shirts, the word “shlong” was, printed as “shl**ng”.

Addressing the new situation arisen from the netball team, the Aberystwyth Students’ Union have said they “are aware of the situation and have dealt with it accordingly”, according to Cambrian News.

This isn’t the first time a student has got in trouble due to the language on their society shirts. In October 2013, the cricket team were banned from entering competitions and had their funding stopped after a member wore a shirt with the words “casual rape” across it on a night out.

A spokesperson for Aberystwyth University said: “Aberystwyth University supports the steps taken by the Students’ Union in this instance.”