We asked a 20-year-old soldier what he really thinks of university students

‘You need to get over yourselves’

For most people the army is a detached and distant entity, something you only see in TV adverts or on the news. But for others it’s a career, and one that defines their life. Joining the army is a big decision and offers a completely different experience to a conventional student path made up of books, essays and nights out.

We asked to a 20-year-old male soldier who joined the army when he left school at 18 what he and other “squaddies” think of the student lifestyle and the perceived problems we face.

He chose to remain anonymous to speak more candidly without fear of punishment.

When did you join the army and why?

I started my basic training in February of 2014 at ATC Pirbright. I always planned to join the army, but as an Officer rather than as a soldier. The original plan was to study Politics at university then become an Officer, but halfway through my A-levels I became disillusioned with sixth form. And so I thought “fuck it, If I’m Officer material they’ll spot it”, so here I am.

What annoys you the most about uni students?

A lot of students seem to think that they are owed something. That because they have a degree they should have an instant job, shouldn’t have to work on a rubbish wage before they get the job they desire. People think if they instantly can’t get a job it’s instantly the governments fault. That really gets me.

What does the phrase ‘safe space’ mean to you?

A place where over sensitive people go to cry about “that joke someone said which really offends me”. It’s bullshit, toughen up buddy. Life is hard and if this is what gets you… well, you’re going to have a miserable life. I get that people are bullied, but a “safe space”? It not only makes you look weak to people like myself, but it shows the older generations that we have been mollycoddled our entire lives that we can’t deal with life. How are people supposed to entrust us with real power and responsibility if at the first sign of offence or hardship we retreat to a “safe place” where “words can’t hurt you”? It’s ridiculous.

What do you think of universities advocating more ‘safe spaces’ and wider censorship?

Ridiculous. One example springs to mind of the Cecil Rhodes protesters in Oxford university. History is horrible. I know that people in our history were racist, sexist and everything else, but they are our history and it is unfair to judge people of the past by the values and standards we live with in 21st century Britain. Should we tear down the pyramids of Giza because they were built by Jewish slaves and are therefore symbols of anti-Semitism? No. Just because you are offended by it doesn’t mean it should be covered up as seems to be the way the world is going.

Millions of people have died defending, and fighting for, freedom of speech. Toughen up, get over it, and be thankful you too get to voice your opinion without fear of persecution. There’s a great quote by the legend that is Stephen Fry: “It’s now very common to hear people say, “I’m rather offended by that”, as if that gives them certain rights. It’s actually nothing more than a whine with no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase”.

What do you think is the core difference between young people in the army and those at university?

I think the way we approach a relationship with others is one fundamental difference. Because of the training and things we go through together our camaraderie and friendships may seem alien but they are strong bonds. Your mates will rip you with the worst of insults 24/7, but you know they’ll have your back – and that’s a great feeling.

I don’t think uni students have that. It seems like there’s bitching between groups, and cliques everywhere. Everyone in the army has two personas: the one at work, and the one with your civvie mates – the toned down version of yourself to avoid offending people who just wouldn’t understand your jokes.

What do you think about student drinking habits?

One quick Google search will tell you the Army’s view on drinking, and it’s pretty damn similar to students. We’d definitely out-drink you though.

And what about drugs consumption at uni?

Not my thing – there is a reason drugs are illegal, but if you want to do that to yourself go ahead. Just don’t be that guy at the party, you know the one, the one stoner who tries to convince you weed should be legal with the worst arguments ever.

What advice would you give to students?

Stop with the whining: you have pretty good deal. You get given money to go and study. Sure you have to pay it back, but will you ever really notice the loss? You live with your mates, you have so much time to spend pursuing the things you enjoy, so just live. Stop appearing weak to the rest of the world, stop bringing in rules like, “No clapping, use jazz hands” – could you even imagine our grandparents with such a rule?

And stop telling people what they can and cant say for fear of offence. Offence is just an opinion, and the truth is no one really cares. Get over yourself.