Power supply restored and lectures on after Penbryn evacuated last night

Students were told to find ‘alternative accommodation’ before power returned

The campus-wide power cut last night forced Penbryn residents to temporarily evacuate before power was restored.

A transformer explosion yesterday afternoon caused the power to go out across campus and in halls of residences, leaving students without electricity or internet.

Unlucky Penbryn residents were asked to evacuate their halls and “relocate to alternative accommodation this evening”.

The University continued: “All residents of Penbryn are required to vacate the building until further notice.

“Security staff will be on hand to make sure that everyone is safe and has left the building.”

But power was restored a few hours later, allowing residents to return to their halls.

Catered doesn’t seem quite so good now eh…

Power has since been restored across campus and all lecturers are scheduled to continue as normal too.

Pro Vice-Chancellor Rebecca Davies said: “The power supply to the Penglais campus was fully restored last night and normal IT services have now been resumed.

“All lectures and teaching activities will take place as scheduled today.”

no lie in I’m afraid

First year and Penbryn resident Edward said: “It’s a bit of a pain in the arse but you’ve got to make the best out of these sorts of situations.

“A few of us are going out, and what better motivation for pulling is there than not having a bed yourself to go back to? I joke, but just gonna have fun and crash at a mate’s.”

Some students are frustrated about the cut, and wonder if they will be granted an extension.

Second year Compsci Jack Reed said: “It’s our work-week, where we’re expected to work on the group project all week pretty intensively.

“Losing a few hours ruined my plans to work on the project, but luckily we backed things up and the uni got it run and running quickly.”