University make final push to secure funding for Old College renovation

But work won’t finish until 2022

The university are making one final push to try and secure the funding needed to transform the Old College into a modern, functional hub of uni life.

You’ve seen it all the booklets and adverts for Aberystwyth uni, but there’s a good chance you’ve never even been there.

Originally built to be a hotel, the Old College was established as the first University of Wales College in 1872, but these days is only used for the odd event, admin facilities and by antisocial studiers in the library.

But the uni is hoping to change that, and is looking to secure £20million to make the building the heartbeat of Aber once again.

The best building you’ve never been into

Half of that money is hoped to come from the Heritage Lottery fund, for which the university applied to in December and will hear about in March.

Funding will be spent on turning the Old College into a centre for heritage, learning and enterprise.

Louise Jagger, Director of Development, said: “We want to encourage closer ‘town-gown’ relationships and to provide a fantastic facility for showcasing learning, research and enterprise opportunities that will inspire users and visitors and boost the economy.”

Works are expected to be completed in time for the University’s 150th anniversary in 2022.