Forget Ritalin, Clenbuterol is the new go-to study drug

It has previously been used by dieters and body builders

Students are using a new study drug to get the edge over course mates in revision season – despite the danger of long-term side effects.

Clenbuterol is normally prescribed to help people with breathing disorders such as asthma, but has also been used by dieters and athletes because of its weight-loss and performance-enhancing properties.

Now a group of students at Aberystwyth University are harnessing the drug’s stimulating effects for academic purposes, saying small doses help them increase focus and get through more work without distraction.

Clenbuterol is legal to buy for private use in the UK and hundreds of pills can be bought online for £30.

Clenbuterol can bought bought legally online

Dave, a second year History student, initially tried the drug for two weeks during summer to lose weight, but then started taking two pills a day in October when his workload increased.

He said: “I actually first picked them up for weight loss. I did feel a bit sharper at work but didn’t think much of it. But when term started again I fell quite far behind on coursework, and thought I would take a couple of tabs just to get a bit more of an edge. I felt I had more energy throughout the day and a bit more confidence with my work.”

The drug is usually swallowed in pill form and works by causing an increase in aerobic capacity, central nervous system stimulation, blood pressure and oxygen transportation – but it is not without its side effects.

Dave continued: “At first I forgot I took it. But then I went for a smoke break and my heart just started going crazy – I had to go lie down for a while. I hadn’t got side effects as bad as that when I was taking them a couple of months ago, so it was really scary.

“I wouldn’t bother with it again. It might be legal but just get some Ritalin if you really need a study drug. It isn’t worth fucking with your heart for a 2:1.”

The Clenbuterol order Jake placed last summer

The drug – known in bodybuilding circles as “Clen” – is usually taken in cycles over a period of months, with users often allowing for a weeks’ break before increasing their dose.

Leeds grad Robert used the stimulant for gym sessions, but quickly stopped after the potent effects lasted too long.

He said: “At the time I was working out a lot and pretty into supplements and I thought if it was legal it couldn’t be that bad. But then I started getting really intense pains in my chest and I couldn’t sleep because I was freakishly alert. It was great in terms of working out, but for the other 23 hours of the day it was pretty horrible.”

You can buy 100 tablets for £30

But these side effects haven’t stopped some students from continuing to buy and use the drug.

Jake, a third year also studying in Aberystwyth, first took Clenbuterol for building muscle before extending his cycle to help his studies.

He said: “I had never heard of Clen, but my housemate gave me a few of them and told me to just take a couple in the morning on days I needed to study. The writing was all in Cyrillic, like Russian or something, but I’ve trusted him in the past. He wanted to see if it was something he could make a bit of money off of as it’s legal to buy.

“It doesn’t really gives you an intense sort of concentration, more just a general feeling of confidence and lack of distractions. I think I prefer it to other stuff I’ve tried, like Ritalin. Though the list of side effects is pretty scary, I’ve not had any of them.”

Psychology third year Adam also didn’t experience any side effects when he used a small dose of the drug for a few revision sessions.

He said: “I’d always heard of quite a few people using them when ‘cutting’ and thought I’d give it a go, so I ordered some online.

“I never really gave them much thought as a study drug as it’s not what they’re typically used for and I’ve never felt like I needed one, although I know people who have used Ritalin or whatever in the past and it always seemed like overkill.

“I started to notice that I felt a little bit more on the ball when I was using, as did my gym buddy. I didn’t sit down and make a conscious decision to start using it as a study drug, but I extended the amount of time I spent on it when my workload was heavy.”

But like Dave, Adam said he wouldn’t be using Clen again for a while.

He added: “I probably wouldn’t bother buying them. If you get them online you have to get dozens and dozens of pills, which is more than I would ever use.”