Rugby Union banned after player burned with cigarette during initiation

The Rugby League captain insists initiations are optional

initiation rugby rugby union suspension

The men’s Rugby Union club have been banned from games and training following an initiation ceremony last month.

It has been revealed the player in question was burned with a cigarette and had his eyebrows shaved off by team mates, Wales Online reports.

This breach of the rules by carrying out initiations led to suspension and an investigation by the SU after receiving “evidence from multiple individuals”.

Players said they were “gutted” about being unable to play for the rest of the year, but they the ban will be lifted in time for September.

Lewis Donnelly, current Rugby League captain and newly appointed SU President, insisted initiations have always been optional, but thinks the ban is appropriate.

He said: “Firstly, ‘initiations’ have always been a part of rugby, not just throughout university, but also at local club level.

“Initiations have always been optional, I talk from experience at a home club, and the same with many people I know, where nobody has ever been forced to take part in certain things.

“It has always been down to the individual, and they know exactly what they are getting involved with before anything were to happen.”

He added: “However, this doesn’t justify some of the acts done to the individual, as burn marks aren’t something to be taken lightly.

“I think the ban is appropriate, as luckily, teams were approaching end of BUCS season anyway.

“But nobody has wished the ban upon the team, as many students didn’t find it deserving one mishap from certain individuals should effect the entire team.

“It’s great news to hear they will be reinstated come September 2015, the team has a lot of history and has had many successful seasons recently, especially in the Mid Wales Cup.

“The players too are great guys, who you can have a chat and drink with without worrying about any problems, and wish them the best of luck with next season.”

A SU spokesman said: “We are very clear while social events for clubs and societies are an integral part of their activities, so called initiation ceremonies are not.

“We received evidence from multiple individuals that Men’s Rugby Union has been running initiation ceremonies through the year and felt the decision to suspend the club was a proportional response.”