Image may contain: Apparel, Clothing, People, Human, Person

‘It’s just explosive banter behind the bar’: The Bobbin has reopened

I think we all need a pint after that

The Bobbin has reopened for business after reports of a bomb scare in the local area.

The Bobbin was closed off The section of King Street between Linksfield Road and University Road was sealed off between 11pm and 5am yesterday, with both The Bobbin and Tesco Express being shut too.

Following the news, The Bobbin has reopened and issued a statement on their Facebook saying: "Hi all. We are open and trading as normal. Nothing to rumours of a bomb threat – just explosive banter behind the bar."

Hi all We are open and trading as normal Nothing to rumours of a bomb threat Just explosive banter behind the bar

Posted by The Bobbin on Monday, November 4, 2019

Despite a 26-year-old man being charged today, the police have still maintained a heavy presence down King Street.

Helen Cauls, 22, said: "We were told to leave and we just waited in the street at around 11pm.

"We came back at 1am and asked the police if they could tell us what happened, but they wouldn’t say.

"Apparently they brought in two different bomb disposal vans and dogs.”

Another onlooker said: "There was a lot of bomb disposal guys here, maybe 12 of them."

A Police Scotland spokesman confirmed that a probe to establish the "exact nature" of the materials and items found had begun.

He said: "The items were recovered from the property after they were discovered during Saturday evening.Inquiries are ongoing to establish the exact nature of these items and officers are currently liaising with specialist partner agencies."

In a Facebook post, a spokesperson said: "Police Scotland can confirm that a 26-year-old man has been charged following the recovery of a number of chemicals from a property on King Street in Aberdeen on Saturday, 2 November, 2019.

"We are working with Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) to progress safe removal of the chemicals from the property. There will be a continued police presence in the area while this is ongoing over the coming days.

"As a safety precaution, a cordon has been put in place around the property in question.

"A small number of residents in the block have been moved temporarily to alternative accommodation.

"There is no threat to the wider public.

Chief Inspector Darren Bruce, Area Commander for Aberdeen City North, said: "As always, our priority is the safety of the public. We have moved residents as a precaution and are working with local partners to provide appropriate advice and support.

"I'd like to reiterate my thanks to the residents and surrounding community for their patience and understanding while our enquiries continue."

The Ministry of Defence was unable to comment on the incident.

After all that, I think we all need a pint…