A 26-year-old has been charged after the bomb scare in The Bobbin

Residents of King Street were evacuated

A 26-year-old man has been charged after a bomb scare in The Bobbin on Saturday.

Following events on Saturday night, where a section of King Street between Linksfield Road and University Road was sealed off, it has been revealed that many residents were evacuated from their homes.

The road was closed between 11pm and 5am yesterday, with The Bobbin and Tesco Express being cordoned off too.

A 26-year-old man, who remains unnamed, was arrested with a "number of unidentified items" being removed from the city flat. The police and bomb disposal units are still at the scene, with numerous officers standing by the building.

Helen Cauls, 22, said: "We were told to leave and we just waited in the street at around 11pm.

"We came back at 1am and asked the police if they could tell us what happened, but they wouldn’t say.

"Apparently they brought in two different bomb disposal vans and dogs.”

Another onlooker said: "There was a lot of bomb disposal guys here, maybe 12 of them."

A Police Scotland spokesman confirmed that a probe to establish the "exact nature" of the materials and items found had begun.

He said: "The items were recovered from the property after they were discovered during Saturday evening.Inquiries are ongoing to establish the exact nature of these items and officers are currently liaising with specialist partner agencies."

In a Facebook post, a spokesperson said: "Police Scotland can confirm that a 26-year-old man has been charged following the recovery of a number of chemicals from a property on King Street in Aberdeen on Saturday, 2 November, 2019.

"We are working with Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) to progress safe removal of the chemicals from the property. There will be a continued police presence in the area while this is ongoing over the coming days.

"As a safety precaution, a cordon has been put in place around the property in question.

"A small number of residents in the block have been moved temporarily to alternative accommodation.

"There is no threat to the wider public.

Chief Inspector Darren Bruce, Area Commander for Aberdeen City North, said: "As always, our priority is the safety of the public. We have moved residents as a precaution and are working with local partners to provide appropriate advice and support.

"I'd like to reiterate my thanks to the residents and surrounding community for their patience and understanding while our enquiries continue."

The Ministry of Defence was unable to comment on the incident.