AUSA Chief who fraudulently claimed £16,000 on expenses sentenced to unpaid work

She claimed money for an address she did not live at

Hide Images

A former Chief Executive of AUSA has been sentenced to unpaid work after fraudulently claiming £16,000 of university money on business expenses.

50-year-old Jacqueline Marie McKay Williams, from Dollar, Clackmannanshire, pled guilty in January this year. After numerous delays, she was ordered to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work over a period of 12 months.

Sheriff Andrew Miller told the court Jacqueline provided fake invoices and expense claims over a period of 15 months between August 2014 and November 2015. These included a housing allowance claim for an address she did not reside at, and an invoice for a credit card issued by her employer that was used for purposes outside her responsibilities.

The allegations were brought to attention in early 2016, at which time the University confirmed Mackay was no longer working at AUSA. An interim Chief Executive was appointed the same year and the job was advertised with a £65,000 salary.

During her time as AUSA Chief Executive, Jacqueline was involved in a £10 million project to build a new Students' Union.

AUSA is an independent charity whose main roles consist of representing the student's of the University of Aberdeen and raising money for local causes.

Sheriff Miller told the court: "The offence involved a significant breach of trust on your part."