Image may contain: White Board, Person, People, Human

‘TheRealPeopleProject’ – A realistic and positive Aberdeen based Instagram that you should be following

It’s time for real people to go viral.

It is impossible to deny the constant stream of pressure these days for both women and men, boys and girls. These expectations and idealistic images come from so many sources within our everyday lives, such as media, advertisement and social media, as well as people's subconscious tendency to compare themselves to those around them. Victoria and Sophie are the creators of TheRealPeopleProject. They are two girls intent on destroying these ideas, and in turn allow people to embrace themselves. Their Instagram is dedicated to real people, built to destroy the idea of societal norms and to speak up against everyday pressures.

They were kind enough to answer some questions about the project – how it all started and how it has impacted them and others around them.

What made you want to create the account? What gave you the motivation to actually put the idea into motion?

Victoria The motivation behind the project was a lot of frustration and some red wine! Sophie and I were talking before and over Christmas a lot about the pressures that society face from all the “perfect” images that we see on Instagram, highly filtered and taken from amazing angles, telling people that they need to be better. We set up the project to bring some body confidence and self-love to Instagram, through showing images of real people, unfiltered and raw, with a little description about why they love their body, to bring self-love and quite frankly some humanity to Instagram!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be-_90oH3ft

Have you yourselves been on a journey of self acceptance and did this help you gain the courage to explore other people’s ideas of self worth?

Victoria For us, this whole project is a journey and a massive learning curve. From the response we have gotten so far, we can already see the diverse range of issues that people in this world face, and how every single person has similar struggles. I personally have struggled with body confidence, as with most people my age, and find that is project is helping me to establish full love of my body and all its flaws.

Sophie Yes! And I’m still on that journey now! Once realising how far I'd come and how much happier and healthier I was for it, doing something to help others along the way felt natural

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeD-HpYHT64

What do you look for in the people you interview?

Victoria All we want is real people! All bodies and stories are welcome! For the story, we just want to know what body confidence means to you! If you are interested in getting involved check out our bio in our Instagram: @therealpeopleproject

Sophie All we look for is someone willing to share their story to help promote conversation and inspire others.

Have you learnt anything about people or society in general from the people you have spoken to?

Victoria For me, I’ve learnt that everyone has completely different struggles, some of which I’d have never guessed! What that has taught me about life is to be nice to our fellow humans, as you never know what they may be struggling with, and it may not be what you are expecting!

Sophie I've learnt that being confident means something different to everyone and that body confidence is just one piece in a big puzzle that encompasses so many other social issues.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeD94jNnb6N

What are your wishes/plans for the future?

Victoria For the future, we would like the project to become nation-wide and hopefully worldwide! We want lots of real people to share on our Instagrams, and ambassadors who can promote the project in their regions. We want to make this a movement empowering real people to love their bodies!

Sophie We plan on posting as many stories as possible to build our collection. We are also hoping to exhibit the posts in the summertime so watch this space!

Empowerment and confidence come from within. TheRealPeopleProject encompasses the idea that we need to start believing that we are the best versions of ourselves and the confidence and bravery that surrounds Victoria and Sophie's movement demonstrates that beauty comes from self-acceptance and self-love and in turn, how important these ideas are.

Follow their journey on instagram @therealpeopleproject, or submit your own story to be featured.