Image may contain: Tree, Plant

How to live like a Gilmore Girl in Aberdeen

Was it Starts Hollow or Aberdeen?

Gilmore girls is a series that was a trendsetter in the early 2000s. For seven seasons we followed these two women. The series is awfully relatable in ways and we can all binge watch it on Netflix. The idyllic Stars Hollow kind of made me want to visit this village of heart-warming and welcoming people. The next best option is to make Aberdeen your Start Hollow. Be your real-life Rory or Lorelai in the deen.

Get all that coffee

Lorelai and Rory drink coffee like there is no tomorrow and aren’t afraid to admit it. You can honour Luke’s endeavours by changing to decaf every once in a while, but why would you? Get your daily caffeine in-take at Starbucks if you're in AU and Costa if RGU is your Alma Mater.

Visit your parents and make it intentionally awkward

When you’re off to study at a university you don’t see your parents as much as you used to. But when you do accompany your parents for a supper, why not mix it up with inappropriate comments and jokes that are beyond your parents’ understanding?

Stroll down the streets of Aberdeen

Take some really slow walks and look around you and try to appreciate the picturesque old Aberdeen and Rosemount. Lorelai and Rory walk around Stars Hollow, especially in the fall. Try to get to that mood and wait for the first snow of the winter to fall.

Image may contain: Town, Neighborhood, Downtown, Villa, Housing, Building, Walkway, Sidewalk, Pavement, Path, Boardwalk

Find your Luke’s Diner

Rory and Lorelai have almost all of their daily meals at Luke’s (expect when they get take-out from Al’s pancake world). Aberdeen is full of little hideaway cafes and bars. It is unclear how their friendship initially started but you can try to strike a conversation with your local business owner and start a banter to last a life time. Fingers crossed.

Embrace take out on the night and the morning after

The Gilmore girls order pizza and Chinese and the occasional Indian from the infamous Al’s Pancake World. Not only do they eat it fresh from Al’s but they also pack their fridge with it and have it the following day or days. Order your Chinese from China China and quality Indian from Khyber Pass.

Image may contain: Worship, Church, Steeple, Spire, Building, Tower, Clock Tower, Bell Tower, Architecture, Obelisk, Monument, Column

Date a teacher (Paris with Asher Flemming/ Lorelai with Max Medina)

We don’t necessarily encourage this behaviour but it is definitely one for your bucket list. There is something to this whole authority thing though… Love is love, right?

Date the good boy (Dean)

This is the first boy who you introduce to your parents. You are sure that your love affair will last a lifetime and choose to ignore the fact that he is predictable, too available and kind of dull. Kind, but dull. This might be hard to execute in Aberdeen but do try!

Date the bad boy (Jess)

We’ve all been there, and will most likely end up there again. There is something super sexy about a guy who is kind of a jerk. Someone who is incredibly emotionally unavailable is just such a turn on. Expect the relationship to end in a very similar manner as Rory’s did.

*TOP TIP- The rugby boys are easy to spot at Skite*

Take part in extracurricular activities but never sports

Rory’s strong suit has never found in the sports world. She’s doing everything imaginable but sports. The series kind of laughs about it and moves on, but we all know physical exercise is key. Be Rory, but not that Rory. Try Amnesty, Free Speech and Creative Writing at AU. And Radar, Politics and Debating and Photography at RGU.

Image may contain: Offroad, Walkway, Pavement, Cobblestone, Housing, Cottage, Building, Walking, Leisure Activities, Town, Street, Road, Alleyway, Alley, Vehicle, Jeep, Car, Human, Person, People

Get a decent job and leave uni

At the end of the series Rory is given a great opportunity that has something to do with Barack Obama which she chooses to follow. But it doesn't come easy. It's after years of complaining for a reason and sometimes over nothing. There is life after uni. There is life after Aberdeen. Promise.