Torcher Parade back for 2017

It’s lit

The headlines last year were that the 127 year old tradition would be coming to an end after both students and councillors failed to agree on terms – in the end the organisers were told that the council could not put on the event due to a potential issue with traffic management.

But it’s back, a whole bunch of students from Aberdeen Uni, RGU and North East Scotland College will be in costumes holding torches and will once again parade through Aberdeen city centre on Saturday the 21st of October.

Fundraisers from the 2015 Torcher Parade

A spokesman for the local authority said: "It’s fantastic the Torcher Parade is back this year, and Aberdeen City Council is delighted to be working with AUSA for a popular event in the city centre."

The tradition started in 1889 and since then (with the exception of last year), students from the University of Aberdeen have led a torch-lit parade through the city centre collecting money for various charities, with Aberdeen locals lining the streets throwing money at students. The one and only time it is acceptable for locals to throw things at students.

Lord Provost Barney Crockett said, “It’s an important part of Aberdeen’s history.

“We’ve missed it while it’s been away and I think everyone in Aberdeen will want to rally round and support it however they can”.

For the past couple of years, the number of students who took part has been declining significantly, as well as the number of people willing to donate.

This year the Aberdeen University Students’ Association (AUSA) have gained the support of a number of key partners for the parade, one being Aberdeen Inspired who are contributing to the cost of the event and encouraging local businesses and residents to get involved.

Batman in the 2015 Torcher Parade

Batman in the 2015 Torcher Parade

Another partner includes Colin Lawson Transport who will be providing a float for each student body involved – AUSA, RGU:Union and North East Scotland College.

The chairman of AUSA’s Raising and Giving (RAG) committee, Alex Govier, said:

"We at AUSA raising and giving are extremely excited to be bringing back the Torcher Parade for the 127th time.

"After a year’s hiatus we’re reading and raring to go, and to take the students of Aberdeen to the streets in order to raise money for 32 local charities.

"We hope through continued support we can keep this tradition going and restore the Torcher Parade to being the largest student-led parade in Europe.

"Our partners at RGU and NESCOL have, as always, been a massive support and we’re looking forward to collaborating with them again this year."

The Parade starts at 6pm at Loch Street, and will finish with a walk up Union Street.

Keep up to date with the event and with what charities RAG are supporting this year by following the Facebook event page.

Pictures credit to AUSA.