AUSA is being investigated over allegations of fraud

A former AUSA employee is being questioned

Police have launched an investigation into allegations of fraud at the Aberdeen University Student’s Association (AUSA).

AUSA is an independent charity which represents students at the university, as well as fundraising for local causes with a series of organised events. If you’re in a society at Aberdeen uni, that is made possible by them.

An investigation has recently been launched however in regards to alleged fraud by a former AUSA employee. A police spokeswoman told the Press and Journal: “We have received a report in connection with allegations relating to fraudulent financial activity at AUSA.”

The AUSA building

An AUSA spokesman said: “We reported concern to Police Scotland relating to a staff member who is no longer employed at the organisation.”

The university understands the importance of AUSA to its student body. A spokesman for Aberdeen University said: “AUSA is an autonomous charity which represents the student community of the University of Aberdeen, and the university is providing ongoing support to ensure it continues its work enhancing the student experience at Aberdeen.”

The investigation is ongoing and neither the scale of the enquiry nor the amount of money in question has been confirmed to the public.