There’s much more to my hometown of Dunblane than its history

AKA the best hometown in Scotland

I can tell exactly what goes through someone’s head when I proudly announce I’m from Dunblane as they’re not usually very good at controlling their reaction. But, despite our devastating history, Dunblane is not a place of doom and gloom. Our past has not defined us, but instead shaped us into the all encompassing community and pretty awesome hometown that we now are.

We’re all in this together

With just under 9,000 inhabitants, we’re a pretty small town, but that works in our favour when it comes to community spirit. Everyone knows everyone, so it’s pretty difficult to walk to Tesco without seeing someone you know, even if it’s only as “woman in pink coat who I always see while walking to Tesco”.

The high street businesses are run by locals, we even still have a greengrocers which I reckon is a socially established symbol of community. If you’re fundraising it’s guaranteed people will help you and wish you luck. We really are one big team.

Come rain or shine, but mostly rain

The butchers’ rivalry

The one thing you are determined by in Dunblane (above your character, personality and morals), is which of the two local butchers you go to. One does not simply buy  meat from both. You’re either Bennett’s or you’re John Hill’s. Opposite each other on the high street, you can feel an aura of rivalry in the area, and the judging glares from the rival’s loyals as you enter the other.

Choose wisely

Our tummies are always satisfied

Until a few years back, the choice of places to have a coffee and a spot of lunch in Dunblane were very limited. Hallelujah, we have finally rectified this. From the Riverside to Tilly’s Tearoom, the options are now beyond satisfactory. On a whim, you could decide to go for a nice meal and cocktails or tea and a massive slab of cake alike.

The local pub The Tappit Hen (just “Tappit” once you’re well-acquainted), is another example of our all-inclusive community style. Here you can see a table of burly blokes knocking back pints and chanting the footy scores sat right beside a table of teenage girls sipping vodka-cranberrys and discussing the upcoming night out.

Yummm

Always the opportunity for a little escape

It’s possibly a little ironic that one of the best parts of Dunblane is a way out of it. It has to be mentioned nonetheless. With a train station right in the centre of town, the regularity of trains means you never have to faff around with buses or pestering parents for lifts. Pop into Stirling in about 16 minutes or venture further to Glasgow or Edinburgh in only a little more than a jiffy. We also recently got a new bridge there and it has a lift so we’re now at the height of technology.

‘Bring me home’ or ‘take me away’

Yes, we do have community events

No matter how silly you think community events are, you always go and enjoy yourself. For the Queen’s Jubilee, our street parties rivalled the ones you saw in London on the TV. The highlight of Dunblane’s calendar is the annual Christmas Extravaganza. I’m not sure if you personally would consider carol singers, hot chocolate in plastic cups, fairy lights and a Santa’s grotto to be extravagant, but if you don’t then you’re not a Dunblanian and probably don’t deserve to be. It’s always freezing but we shiver as one while admiring the few reindeer that have been brought in, getting into the Christmas mood.

These are Santa’s real reindeer

You cannot beat Dunblane Cathedral

Now, we get very defensive of this. Since we have a cathedral, Dunblane is technically a city. Apparently. Whether or not it ups our status, the Dunblane Cathedral is absolutely stunning. Primary school services were made bearable by the stunning architecture, and sneaking into all the little nooks and crannies when it’s open to the public during the day never fails to amaze.

#nofilter

All about the outdoors

To be honest, there aren’t too many conventional things to do in Dunblane. There isn’t a cinema or many shops, but that only makes us more creative people. We’re helped out by the scenery and landscapes in this one. On hot summer days (that should maybe be singular not plural), you can walk out to Ashfield where you ignore the concerning colour of the water and jump off the banks of the river anyway. You could go on walks every week and still take a different route each time, exploring the rich Scottish countryside.

How inviting

Our homeboy Andy Murray

How to even begin to describe Dunblane’s attitude towards Andy Murray? If you asked people, you’d end up mistakenly thinking every elderly woman is his gran and every man taught him to ride a bike. That’s the level of pride and protection we’re talking about. If you have a visitor, the first place you take them is to Andy’s golden post box. I’d challenge anyone to find someone who lives here who doesn’t have a framed photo of them beside it. When his daughter was born, the butchers temporarily renamed their meat to fit the situation. When he comes home to visit his family, the streets are lined with well-wishers as if he were the Queen. Although to be honest, he is pretty much Dunblane’s official King.

I was so close I could smell him and it was wonderful