Why being this far North is actually a good thing

Being drookit isn’t so bad

Aberdeen gets a lot of stick for being pretty isolated and very far North in comparison to other big cities like Edinburgh and Glasgow. To be honest, even we who live there forget that there’s actually still more above it.

However, it needs to be recognised that our Northernness is actually one of our biggest assets, and is one of the many things that gives our home its Faberdeen title. So, Aberdonians, zip up your industrial sized jackets and embrace your geography.

We bask in our tropical weather conditions

I mean come on, we are the sunniest city in Scotland after all, aren’t we? The weather way up here is no where near as bad as everyone makes out. Sure it’s a tad blustery every now and again and vertically challenged people might need anchoring when anywhere out in the open, but those days are few and far between. On the contrary, when we get the sun we really get the sun, AND we have beaches to enjoy it on. To be all scientifical, coastal regions are literally warmer than those inland, fact.

Plus, on those more chilly days, who doesn’t love a bit of wrapping up warm? Lower temperatures are a fabulous excuse to calm the shivers with warm drinks and multiple items of cosy clothing.

Its only a five layer kind of day

You can catch a glimpse of the Northern lights

Aberdeenshire is number three on the top ten list of Scotland’s best places to see the Northern Lights, only beaten by the islands.

With many little nooks and crannies along the coastline, there are loads of perfect places to escape the light pollution of the city and catch a glimpse of the almighty Aurora Borealis. We have that Northern edge on our side, making a clear viewing of one of nature’s masterpieces all the more magical.

This can make for a really good Instagram post too

People not knowing where it is means a chance for some fun

If nothing else, living up in the ‘Deen never fails to be a hit as a conversation topic.

If they’re not Scottish they might not have heard of it and you can play it up to be as amazing as you wish. If they are Scottish, chances are they’ve never been because they think it’s so far up the way that it might as well have broken off from the mainland and floated up to the Arctic.

Either way, you can big up your city as much as you’d like: “It’s true, the nightlife is the best there is,” “Is there much to do, are you kidding me? Never a dull moment,” “Yeah I reckon its much prettier than Edinburgh.”

Pretty much how it goes

Our isolation means less media attention 

As a city we might not be known as the brightest tool in the Happy Meal box, but who needs to know that? Local headlines for us are a godsend, and with the isolation, our little momentary mishaps make for community giggles, but prevent us from becoming national laughing stalks.

So what if a man robs a bank with a spoon? That, I would say, is creativity, no less. And if someone calls the SPCA in December to report an injured wild parrot which turns out to be a Christmas hat abandoned on a fence, well, that only shows our caring nature for all living things.

How classy are we?

Going anywhere feels like a holiday 

Being a little isolated and Northern actually works out as a very good thing, when travelling ANYWHERE feels like a proper holiday. The train goes along the coast and you pass a through a little nothingness before reaching the Narnia that is any other civilised area.

You have to go a full 60 miles completely straight down the A9 by car before the SatNav will give you any inclination of you reaching the next major city. And going somewhere by plane (yes, we do have an airport), is the equivalent of a full around the world trip from an Aberdonian perspective.

Life just gets a little more exciting, you appreciate even the smallest of trips when you leave the Granite City.

“Weekend getaway to Dundee? Don’t mind if I do!” said no non-Aberdonian ever

We have a vast array of native wildlife 

*Best David Attenborough impression* “Watch as it approaches the discarded, upturned donner kebab box with utmost curiosity. You can see the determination in its eyes, it hasn’t seen food like this since the McDonalds chips on Union Street in the early hours of this morning.

“It pecks at the ‘meat’. It sings a horrific song of satisfaction. Everyone bear witness, to the majesty that is the overweight Aberdeen seagull.”

In all seriousness though, it is a wonder that the seagull isn’t yet the official animal of the Aberdeenshire area. They’re everywhere and they’re huge. On a slightly more appealing note, although that may differ with opinion, it is possible to spot seals and even dolphins from our golden (sandy brown) shores.

The class is never ending

Good old Doric

“Foo’s yer doos?” “A ken a ken im, but a da ken far a ken im fae?”

You might be taken aback at first, but if someone calls you a “bonnie haddie”, you should actually thank them. Even if the speaker is “awfy blootered”.

“Fit like” on the other hand is not a compliment, someone is just asking how you are, and you’ll embarrass yourself by answering “thank you”.

Getting caught in the Aberdeen rain might leave you “drookit”, but you could go into a shop to dry off. If you’re new to the dialect however, don’t choose a shoe shop, as you’ll put yourself at risk of being asked “Fit fit fits fit fit?” and it making total sense to everyone but you.

Up here in the North we have our own dialect, we could insult your central towns and you’d never know anything about it.

There should be a uni course in this stuff

So you may have your ideas about life up North but take that perceived greatness and multiple it by at least “twa”. We are up top, both in the literal and metaphorical senses of the term. 

Glossary

foo’s yer doos – How are you?

a ken a ken im, but a da ken far a ken im fae? – I know I know him, but I don’t know where I know him from?

bonnie haddie – beautiful lady (the haddie actually refers to a haddock. Yup, the one in your fish supper…)

awfy blootered – very drunk

fit like – how are you?

drookit – drenched or soaking 

fit fit fits fit fit? – which foot fits which foot?

twa – two