Edinburgh is my heart and my home

We Edinburgers are people of upmarket taste and a more discernible accent

There ain’t no sunshine like sunshine on Leith.

Where you come from can mean a hell of a lot to someone, even more so when you’re not living there any more.

As a result it is incredibly easy to take your home city for granted, something we all probably learnt when we packed our bags and went off on the big adventure that is university.

Granted, since I study in Aberdeen it means that it isn’t too far a journey, and the short commute makes coming home on a one-off weekend visit or Christmas holidays easier (and less expensive).

Edinburgh boasts an endless variety of things to do for students, even more so when it matters.

Having a jaw dropping time

Coming home on holiday from life at university means stepping back into Edinburgh in the middle of its busiest times.

Christmas in the ‘Burgh is essentially a month-long bender, during which carnage ensues on a near daily basis.

The inebriated chaos of Christmas Cav and Temple Thursdays at Silk will see festive fun take on a whole new meaning, making it impossible not to think that Edinburgh does it better than the rest.

Club nights and catching up with friends who you’ve not seen for months eventually lead up to the pinnacle of any local’s year – Hogmanay.

Sure, this end of year skite of epic proportions does take place worldwide, but Edinburgh can’t be beat when it comes to atmosphere and vibe.

New years can get a bit busy

Once the bells strike 12 and a firework display not too dissimilar to Jordan’s retaliation on ISIS fades, the party really starts.

It may be ludicrously overpriced (a pint came in at an average of £5.20) but you can’t put a price on memories can you?

The monumental influx of tourists from all over the world at times such as this certainly carries with it the idea that Edinburgh must have something special on offer, not only in in the festive period but all year round.

Averaging 3.7 million visitors per year (that’s 1.5 million more than Glasgow), one could only try to hazard a guess to the reasoning behind this.

Let me spell out to you why something like this might have occurred:

Any shit joke you’ve heard from your mates involving a Scotsman usually personifies the stereotype which we Scots have to endure, often on a day to day basis.

We’re ginger, dress-wearing alcoholics, sporting a vocabulary that would make a nun cry and pockets so tight we wouldn’t even tip our hat.

This is pretty cool too

That may be the case for somewhere like Dundee, but the fine folk of Edinburgh transcend this approximation of the Scot.

We Edinburgers are people of upmarket taste and a more discernible accent.

No, we aren’t posh snobs.

The lack of a broad Scottish accent akin to more northern areas of the country may be the reason for why so many tourists visit.

Can you imagine someone on holiday from Texas trying to get directions from an Inverness local? I think not.

Maybe its the castle, or the kilts, or the fringe.

All I know is that its these reasons and more that make me proud to be from Edinburgh.

Wheely pretty though (I’m sorry)

The immense architectural beauty and incredible natural surrounding found even within the city itself make it a haven for those who like to explore.

Plus we got voted as the fourth most beautiful city in the world by Rough Guide, bested only by Paris, Florence and Rome.

You should definitely follow me on Instagram

I’d happily walk 500 miles (and maybe even 500 more) to be the man who walked a thousand miles just to fall down at Edinburgh’s door.

This may or may not also be the case for Hive.

No further comment on that though.