Tributes pour in for ‘role model’ RGU student killed in crash

Friends pay respects to the ‘colourful character’

Heartfelt accolades poured in last night for a young student and equality campaigner who was tragically killed in a horror road crash.

Police last night named Mirela Slavova, 22, as the victim of a tragic crash just outside of the city.

She collided with another car in Aberdeenshire at around 7:35am on Monday morning.

Mirela, or Mira as she was known to friends, began a university placement as an undergraduate analytical chemist at Shell’s St. Fergus gas terminal in Aberdeenshire.

She only learnt to drive this summer in anticipation for her placement.

The Bulgarian national studied forensics at RGU and helped found the uni’s LGBT society.

RGU’s wellbeing and equality officer Steve Mills paid tribute to his “role model” friend Mira last night.

The 26-year-old said: “I have known Mira for years. She was such a colourful character and would always be smiling and bouncing about, she was infectious.

“As one of the original members of the RGU: LGBT+ society, she became the committee’s women’s officer, standing up as a role model not just for LGBT, but for all women at RGU.”

In a statement posted on social media he wrote: “She was such a presence. One of the funniest, nicest people you could ever meet, she truly was a wonderful, unique character. I am devastated as I am sure everyone who knew her is as well.

“All my love Mirela, you will be sorely missed. XXX”

Catherine Inverarity, Forensic Science Course Leader and Senior Lecturer at RGU, said: “The university community has been shocked by the untimely death of Mirela.

“She was the top student in her year achieving straight A’s and passed every year of her course with distinction.

“She was expected to graduate with a first class honours in forensic and analytical science and had a fantastic career ahead of her.

“Mirela was highly committed to everything she did, was so full of life and a joy to teach. She will be sadly missed by all staff and students who knew her at RGU.”

Anyone who may have witnessed the collision is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101 or anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.