Your inner child is disappointed in your career choice

Instead of becoming an astronaut you’re studying to be a lawyer

Chances are you’ve not followed through on the dream of becoming the cowboy or princess that you once hoped to be.

For most of us it seems that when we were younger our imaginations really took a hold of our job aspirations. We really had some cool careers on the cards.

Maybe its because we’re easily influenced at that age but we’d switch from doctor to fighter pilot to astronaut to secret agent, all within the space of a couple months.

But when we start to gather qualifications we get spoon-fed what job we ought to pursue.

If you’re good at maths then you’ll probably end up working with numbers.

Good at chemistry? Then a career in chemical engineering or pharmacy awaits, or possibly the next Walter White.

And if you’re good at English and History then you better get ready suit up and shout “Objection!” – or get writing lesson plans.

If you’re an all star then you’ll probably be directed to a website with a list of the highest paid jobs in the UK and told to take your pick.

Adam is currently studying Mechanical Engineering at RGU and although he’s not following his childhood career ambitions, he tries to live up to them through costume parties.

“I remember watching Top Gun as kid and after that my sights were locked on becoming Maverick. Unfortunately that idea fizzled out as life went on.”

Adam is obviously a little bit gutted his aspirations crashed and burned but he’s one of the lucky ones that thoroughly enjoys being on a course that matches his strengths. So he isn’t that disappointed he won’t be requesting a fly by anytime soon.

But he doesn’t just stop at partly fulfilling his top gun dream. He also got kitted up as the red Power Ranger this Halloween and checked another childhood wish off the list.

“Like most I went through a Power Ranger stage in my younger life and I always considered the red Power Ranger to be the most badass. So of course I wanted to be him. Who wouldn’t?”

And he’s not the only one that had to put wanton childhood dreams to bed.

18-year-old Andrew Clark who is currently studying Law and Economics at Edinburgh University said: “I’ve always had a bit of a thing for words so originally I wanted to be an author.

“However I decided when I was 10 that I wanted to be a lawyer since it seemed like more of a challenge.

“I’ve always looked for new ways to push myself and law just seemed like the perfect fit.

You can see the determination in the eyes of Andrew even at a young age

Next up is the girl who won the title of Fashionista for her secondary school in Glasgow. Going by her dress sense and love of The Devil Wears Prada, you wouldn’t be wrong if you thought Erin was fated to follow a career in fashion.

But she actually studies Mechanical Engineering at RGU.

“Like The Devil Wears Prada I wanted to be a fashion journalist. I don’t think I would’ve believed back then that I’d be studying the course I’m on just now.

“I was never a fan of maths and physics until I was about 14!”

18-year-old Social Science student Kirsty said: “Going by my career ambitions when I was younger I was destined for the big screen or theatre.

“But sadly I hit a stage in my life when I released that I just wasn’t any good at singing, acting or just anything that is associated with that career.”

We can all relate to how Kirsty felt when the penny dropped. We all hit a point of realisation in our lives when we start to question whether being a cowboy will really pay the bills or not and if we’ll be able to have a family when we’re dressed in a tuxedo, with a martini in hand, chasing bad guys around exotic parts of the world.

Maybe it’s a good thing that we don’t all become what we first wanted to be.

After all, do we really need that many fighter pilots and rock stars?