Tashtastic: Aberdeen rugby club highest fundraising Movember team in Scotland

Stand free tache free

Aberdeen uni’s rugby club raised a record amount of money for Movember this year with their impressive array of moustaches.

The boys brought almost four grand to the Movember Foundation after a month of sporting furry top lips, making them the highest fundraising group in Scotland, and one of the highest in the UK.

One of the main organisors, Michael Crawley, said: “The fundraising really surpassed our expectations, the initial target we set was actually just £400.”

Four million moustaches have been grown worldwide for Movember Foundation challenge since it began.

The team looked devilishly handsome last month.

The organisation has raised £346 million to date and funded over 800 programmes in 21 countries. This work is saving and improving the lives of men affected by prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health problems.

Yep, that can just be classified as a moustache.

The rugby boys organised a team effort for the first time this year to much success. Michael says the team was a slow starter with only eight members after the first week.

But with a bit of mo’envy going on they had an impressive 35 members sign up by the half way mark. By the end of the month they collectively raised £3,878 through a lot of very generous support. Michael said: “The tone was set by Will who raised a lot of money early on in the month and I think that spurred everyone on.”

Everyone in the team made good contributions but special mentions go to Craig Smith who raised £405.69, and fresher Will Graham who raised £245 despite a distinct lack of facial hair.

Such impressive facial hair.

And though the ladies may be happy to see them go, some of the guys were gutted when it came time to shave their fuzzy upper lips. Michael said: “I grew really fond of it. Absolutely gutted to be rid of it.”