Fourth year scammed out of £100 through Facebook ad

‘I didn’t think twice about its credibility’

A conned RGU student was ripped off by a fake site that Facebook suggested she like.

Fashion-forward Amy thought she’d clinched a deal when she saw an advert promising a sale on Michael Kors bags being reduced from £300 to just £36.

She said: “It’s probably like the 10th time I’ve bought stuff from Facebook ads, and they always send me what I ask for and on time.”

But it was after she’d paid that she realsied her mistake:

“After placing my order and getting a dodgy email, I realised it was a scam.

“I really should have looked into it. It just seemed so legit till I got through to the final stage of payment and it didn’t take me through to my banking secure payment page, it just automatically took the money off.”

And what’s worse is Facebook endorsed the website despite it being a fake site: “It’s not bad because it’s a scam, they’re everywhere, but it’s bad because Facebook is posting it to unsuspecting users.”

“The fake site looks better than some real ones”

The 23-year-old was baffled as to how she’d got caught out: “I think the main reason I trusted it is because all other ad pages on Facebook I’ve ordered from have gone through with no issue, even if the website has been obscure.

“But this website then blocked me from re-logging in, and stole my money.”

But for Amy the most shocking thing is there is no guarantee of it not happening again:”It’s funny cause right next to ads like this are ads for PayPal, Amazon, ASOS, which are known to to be trustworthy sites.

“It’s misleading to place fake ads right next to these ones.

“And Facebook is placing these as sponsored ads. Says something about their screening process.

“I felt quite disappointed in myself for not doing a quick background check on the website, the only reason for this being Facebook had officially posted the ad.

“Now, I’ve contacted my bank, but they said the money has already been taken out. But I’ve cancelled my cards now.

“And I’ve reported the page and sent in the issue. I have also commented on the ad on Facebook asking people to do the same.

“But, now that I’ve clicked onto that page, Facebook is advertising loads more of these pages to me, most of which look even more shoddy.

“I feel really silly but I’ve lost my trust in Facebook’s legitimacy.

“Obviously I’ve learnt my lesson, but it’s been an expensive one.”