Scammed: Fake landlords targeting students

Second-year almost loses a grand to secure fictional flat

Phoney landlords on Gumtree have asked prospective tenants to transfer hundreds of pounds and then disappeared with the cash.

The scam involved sending a copy of your receipt that shows you had paid the money to them through Western Union and MoneyGram.

With the housing problems freshers are facing some are being advised by the uni to try and find private accommodation.

But the scam has almost put some out of pocket.

Second-year Kimberly almost lost over a grand to fake landlord Panon Lafarge. She said: “I could have lost £600 then someone asked for £1200 and only found out today that it’s a scam.”

The Geography student contacted Panon after seeing his ad on Gumtree.

Kim was close to losing £1200

They corresponded over email for two days as he said he lived in Denmark. She first received this in an email: “The price I want is £400 per month, bills included and I am interested in a long term agreement, minimum 6 months!

“If you are decided to view the flat and  have the money I could come in the next few days to show you the apartment and maybe sign the tenancy agreement.”

She replied: “I am ready to move in as soon as possible, I have been staying with friends for two weeks now and have been disappointed by other flats.”

But she became unsure when the scammer couldn’t give her the address: “The flat is located on 9 KINGS GATE, AB15 4E.

“I can`t give you the exact address because there’s no one living there and I’m afraid of thieves.

“I do apologize for this but I hope you understand the situation with me being in Denmark right now.”

He then escalated the manipulation by saying: “If you are sure you want to view the flat let me know because there is another person interested in reserving it!”

The scammer then tried to convince Kimberley to deposit money into the Western Union and send him the receipt.

He wanted her to prove she had the funds and was, ironically, not someone he was going to lose time and money over: “I will ask you to walk into any Western Union agency and send the total bill cash £1200 (two months rent and one month refundable deposit) on your partner’s name or a friends name (NOT to ME).

“Or, your partner/friend can send it to you with the destination of United Kingdom. All I need is for you to get back to me with the receipt issued to you after making the transaction, so I can confirm our meeting!

“When we  meet in person to sign the papers, we will go together to Western Union and you can withdraw the cash and pay me in hand!

“I just need to see that you do have the money available and you do have serious intentions in renting the flat!

“If the Western Union agent will ask you about the receiver ,it is best to tell him that you are sending to a relative of yours, so transfer fees will be cheaper!

“If you will tell them the real reason ,they might consider this a commercial transaction and charge you more. ”

“Also please keep in mind that if the western union agent will ask you about the receiver you should tell them that you are relatives or something because if you will tell the the whole story they might consider this a commercial transaction and charge you more.

“With this being said I think we have everything covered. I will be waiting to hear from you.”

Slim pickings in the deen

But Kimberley was already suspicious and starting to doubt the “amazing” flat and its landlord. She said: “Everyone was telling me it sounded really shady, obviously you would normally view a flat and hand money over to them in cash.

“So I decided to google Panon Lafarge and look up Gumtree’s safety page.

“That’s how I found out. And thank god, before I parted with my cash.”

The ad has since been taken down.