100 march in ‘women only’ protest against Madame Fromage

But men had to stand at the sidelines

Monday night saw 100 women protest against rape and sexual violence.

The “empowering” protest was sparked from the outrage over the uni’s “victim-blaming” safety campaign.

Ironically, the march was held on the same say as the uni’s safety day where you could learn not to do drugs by the police in a marquee.

The Reclaim The Night event said: “We will march on Monday to demand our right to live without the fear or reality of rape and sexual violence, to show solidarity between and empower those most affected by rape culture and sexual violence – women.”

And whilst they couldn’t march, men were invited to meet the women at the end of the march at Castlegate.

But the march has come under fire for excluding men. Fifth year, Rob Starr, said: “Firstly rape doesn’t only happen to women, secondly the video also mentioned that the guys got too drunk and so blamed them for being potential victims of crime also.

“Also many men support the cause, and may want to express it.”

Another said: “This event is exclusive, it defines feminism as something that excludes males and actively discourages male support.

“I hope more thought goes into any future events, safety should be for everyone and even you are ignoring the fact that men are potential victims both first and second hand.”

But others fully supported the necessity of the gender divide. One male student said: “Men, this event is not for us. This is an event where the female students of Aberdeen seek to reclaim the right to go out at night without this fear. The fact that this is necessary is our collective shame. 

“The women of Aberdeen don’t need us to carry placards on a march with them, they just need us to actively respect their right to be allowed to be.

And gents, ask any of your female friends if they’ve ever been sexually harassed (groped, cat-called, followed home) and then you’ll realise that not only is it your fight, but it’s already on your fucking doorstep.”

Coordinator of Niteline, Ellie Harding, said: “The turn out was fantastic and the drummers riled everyone up.

The speaker from RapeCrisis was amazing, she was incredibly empowering, and everything she said she harmonised with everything that could be seen as negative about the march.

“It was a fantastic march. The allies – the men – were thanked at the end by women taking part.

“I think there were women that felt empowered by it being a female only march.”

And others were delighted with AUSA’s support from the start of the Madame Fromage fiasco.

Jenny, fourth-year Anthropology participant, said: “The knowledge that we have a sabbatical team which not only condemns victim blaming and the trivialisation of rape, but takes positive steps to encourage the women on our campus to fight back is something I am immensely proud of.”

Genna Clarke, President for Welfare and Equal Opportunities, said: “Reclaim the night marches are historically women only – it’s meant to be a safe space so women who have experienced harassment don’t need to worry.

“We will be holding HeforShe events too, it’s just a really tricky one to keep everyone happy.”

Those who marched from Hillhead to Castlegate in the Reclaim The Night event called it “empowering”, with others commenting: “THAT WAS SO GOOD.”

Those present rallied together chanting: “Hey ho, hey ho, sexual violence has to go.”

Even the NUS Scotland Women’s Officer turned out for the event, chanting through a megaphone at the crowd.

Reclaim The Night Aberdeen was arranged to protest against the “Madame Fromage” animation made by the uni.

The video, which presented the main character as cheese who was raped because of her clothes, drinking and decisions, was removed on Friday last week after pressure from The Tab, AUSA and the student body.

Genna Clarke, Welfare and Equal Opportunities President said: “The point we are trying to make is that women have a right to walk anytime and anywhere through the streets of Aberdeen without fear of violence.

“Women shouldn’t need to be accompanied by men, it would have been counterproductive to the message we were sending out.

“I was so pleased to see so many men turn out for the rally at the end, though.”