Freshers made homeless TWICE by blundering bureaucrats

Unlucky students made victims of uni accommodation cock-up AGAIN

With only 24 hours until move-in weekend, the uni has made freshers homeless AGAIN after over-subscribing the permanent accommodation offered to those who missed out on halls.

Some freshers who were confirmed in permanent accommodation in Hansen apartments were later told there was no more room.

This is the second time the freshers have been left with nowhere to live after the uni’s initial cock-up with halls.

And to make it worse, some freshers had turned down temporary accommodation in favour of the permanent Hansen Apartments, only to be told they are once again homeless.

Outraged students continue to share their struggles on The Aberdeen Homeless Society page, with one student posting: “We aren’t even guaranteed the Hansen Apartments regardless of whether we have confirmed we want to go there or not since they’ve offered it to more students than they can accommodate.”

Clearly, the University has still not learnt its lesson not to offer out more than it can give.

The University, having offered some students temporary accommodation at local hotels and hostels, then emailed the students offering them the comfort and stability of permanent accommodation.

No sooner had they accepted this permanent accommodation did the university then tell them that this too, was oversubscribed and unavailable.

For those who jumped for permanent accommodation over the temporary accommodation bandwagon, they are once again left with no clue as to where to go.

As one student succinctly said: “So essentially they’ve coaxed everyone out of temp into potential homelessness again.”

Students let down TWICE by uni blunder

Hilariously, the University are still trying to pitch this mishap as proof of the University’s popularity, claiming that the situation was caused by a “combination of the popularity of Aberdeen, and our student accommodation, and the current rental market in the city.”

Realistically though, this is not the case. The University just got too greedy for fees and took in way too many people.

The only real silver lining is for landlords in Aberdeen who (if they have half a brain) will now be increasing their rent prices, knowing that any form of accommodation in Aberdeen right now will be in ridiculously high demand.

Given that the official move in date is tomorrow yet many are still unclear as to where they will be living, Fresher’s week is looking to be cosier than ever.

And finally, with this calamity unfolding more and more each day, it’s great to see the local council taking an active role in bettering the situation.

MSP Kevin Stewart said: “Having to live from a hotel room is certainly not an ideal situation to find yourself in”.

Thanks for the heads up on that one Kevin….

The Tab will continue to follow the story of the homeless freshers in the coming weeks.