1 in 5 LGBT Students have been harassed on University Campuses

New research into LBGT experiences on campus sheds light onto homophobic behaviour.

A report released by The National Union of Students (NUS) LGBT Campaign reveals almost 30% of trans* students and almost 20% of gay, lesbian and bi students have experienced some form of name calling on campus.

The report, excellently titled ‘Education Beyond the Straight and Narrow’, found that harassment on University campuses was still a major problem for LGBT students but campaigns to tackle it are working.

In comparison to trans and LGBT students, only 5% of the heterosexual respondents in the survey involving over 4000 students have been harassed in a similar manner.

The report by the NUS was published earlier this year.

Only 20% of trans* students said that they felt safe on campus which really highlights how little support is offered to them whilst at University.  One trans* respondent of the survey said:

“I felt invisible, stupid and misgendered and there [were no] staff who fully understood my situation.”

Currently, staff at the University of Aberdeen have no compulsory form of Equality and Diversity training, a problem which can have detrimental effects on LGBT students.

However it appears that is not just ignorance from staff that is a problem, but also from fellow students. Many have no idea that LGBT equality goes beyond the Equal Marriage campaign and see the commonly used phrase “but I have a gay friend” as an excuse for their ignorance.

Many are not aware that not everyone defines themselves under typical societal gender roles, or that be attracted to more than one gender is possible and is not just a “stepping stone to being gay.”

The University of Aberdeen’s LGBT society carries out a proactive role to support students.

Sky Yarlett, LGBT officer at NUS, said, “Many LGBT students continue to feel alone in education and society as a whole. Many suffer mental health and financial issues. All too often we hear cases of LGBT students leaving education altogether as an indirect result of their identity.”

However, the report also found things that are not so shocking. LGBT societies save lives, keep people in education and create a more friendly and welcoming environment for LGBT students on campus.

Whilst some LGBT societies seem to be solely for the purposes of drinking, others create campaigns and actively fight for their University to be more inclusive. Whether it be campaigning for gender neutral toilets, more inclusive sports teams or more queer theory in our curriculum. These are the LGBT societies that make a difference and we need more like them.

Campaigns run by the group are prominent across campus.

If you’re interested in being part of Aberdeen University’s LGBT Society please join the Facebook group. To join the Student Association’s LGBT Campaign contact Rory MacFarlane, next year’s Vice President for Equal Opportunities ([email protected]).

* Trans* is an umbrella term that refers to all of the identities within the gender identity spectrum including transgender, transsexual, transvestite, genderqueer, genderfluid, non-binary, genderfuck, genderless, agender, non-gendered, third gender, two-spirit, bigender, and trans man and trans woman.