Men attracted to bare faced beauties

University research shows that men don’t care if women wear make-up.

Research carried out by the University of Aberdeen and Bangor University revealed that men find women more attractive when the wear less makeup.

44 women were given different foundations, lipsticks, blush and mascaras. They were then instructed to put the make up on, as if they were going on a night out.

Before and after photographs were taken and then the images were altered by the researchers to create a range of 21 images of women wearing different amounts of make-up.

Natural blush deemed better than powder…apparently.

The photos were then shown to 44 Bangor University students who decided who they thought was the most attractive, the photo they thought women would prefer, and which photo they thought that men would prefer.

Surprisingly, the women preferred the models who were wearing a little more make-up than the than the models which the men preferred. The research showed that whilst it may be presumed that men would prefer more make up, the reality was that both men and women preferred the images of women who wore 40% less makeup.

The researchers concluded by explaining how perceived standards of beauty are skewed and attitudes need to change. The authors explained:

“Taken together, these results suggest that women are likely wearing cosmetics to appeal to the mistaken preferences of others. These mistaken preferences seem more tied to the perceived expectancies of men, and, to a lesser degree, of women.”

Good news ladies! Wipe off that make-up and you’ll be sure to find a man.

Last night’s make-up is never a good option