Expensive snooze lands the Pearl Lounge a £19,000 victory

The nightclub was granted an appeal because an official fell asleep during the hearing.

Pearl Lounge owner Mike Wilson has been granted £19,000 after a member of Councillor Muriel Jaffrey fell asleep during the hearing, leading to the acceptance of his appeal that he had been denied a fair hearing.

The whopping sum of cash is to cover his court costs after The Pearl Lounge had its licence suspended for two weeks amid reports of alleged under-age drinking and violence.

Former Aurum director, Kirk Harrison, has been told to expect “£25,000 or above” after Sheriff Principal Derek Pyle found “no evidence of the premises being used in furtherance of that criminal activity” and reinstated its licence.

As students, we’re no strangers to nodding off in meetings and tutorials, but our snooze sessions never leave the tax payer having to cough up around £45,000 in cash to cover the cost.

Code Red

The Pearl Lounge was forced to shut its doors for a fortnight, due to youngsters reportedly managing to get away with boozing it up inside; who could blame them – I bet their weekly pocket money would buy a hella lot of 80p broke bombs.

Enough cash to get all SORTSA drunk at Pearl

But in the process of coming to that decision, one of the committee members reportedly NODDED OFF and fell asleep during the hearing, but still continued to proceed to vote for the club to be punished anyway. As a result, the case was recently overturned on appeal in favour of the Pearl Lounge, on the grounds that it wasn’t a fair hearing – solely down to the fact that the former member in question was caught catching some shut-eye.

Mike Wilson, the owner of the nightclub, has been awarded a sum of £19,000 for legal costs and compensation in relation to the shutting down of his glorious empire for the two week period. Hopefully he’ll use the money to upgrade the rodeo penis, but maybe that’s just the dreamer in me.

Imma ride this thing all the way to regret-town

If anything can be learned from this fiasco, it’s that you should remember not to feel too bad about yourself next time the lecturer is busy giving you a hard time for hibernating mid-lesson – a potential C6 is probably more affordable than £19,000.