Students paying THREE TIMES more than uni staff for gym memberships

Even the uni staff don’t think it’s fair

Aberdeen Sports Village offers free off-peak memberships to staff while charging students almost three times as much for peak.

And while concession memberships went up with the opening of the Aquatics Centre, staff peak memberships have stayed put at £6.10 per month.

Students pay £12.50 and £17.70 a month for off-peak and peak memberships respectively, while university staff get free off-peak membership and pay just £6.10 to upgrade to peak.

ASV is commonly seen as a major attraction for students coming to Aberdeen. With high class facilities, the gym is easily the best option for university students to choose.

But while students are forking out ridiculous membership prices, ASV are handing out free off-peak memberships to staff and charging them a THIRD of the price we pay for peak memberships.

The gym “unfairly” charges students over £12 and £17 for off-peak and peak respectively, meaning Aberdeen university students are paying a disproportionately high fee to use sports facilities in comparison to other universities. Glasgow university students pay as little as £50 for annual memberships.

Staying in shape is pricey for Aberdeen’s students.

It seems the amount students pay subsidises free memberships for earning university employees – despite the fact the facility has always been heavily advertised by the university as a reason to attend Aberdeen.

One student said: “The student rates are sky-high at ASV compared to other universities – why is our budget suffering to fund staff memberships?”

Diamond will look lush splashing about free of charge in the new pool

And one university staff member agrees: “It’s absolutely ridiculous that staff get a free membership whens students are paying so much – it should be the students who get the better deal.”

Our VC could afford ALL of our memberships – so why is his free?

Not only this, but an ex-ASV staff member admitted that our all-mighty Vice-Chancellor, Ian Diamond, never pays for any of the sports bookings that he makes:

“He’s always booking out cricket or squash for his family or his son, and he never pays for a single thing. We have to bend over backwards to accommodate him, it hardly seems fair on the students.”