Zombies attack Aberdeen University library

Zombie run descends on library as part of AU student festival.

Screams ripped through the benign and beautiful setting of Aberdeen University campus yesterday, disturbing quiet of the balmy afternoon.

A student with a bloody face and snarling expression raced over King’s lawn, chasing a young woman.

Okay, so more game than apocalypse, but you get the drift.

Yesterday, as part of the student festival 2014, the AU societies committee organised a zombie run on campus, after the success of last year’s game.

The aim is to, unsurprisingly, survive. Zombies had to swipe the red tag hanging from survivor’s belt and, if caught, they then mutated into zombie themselves. Or something like that.

There were safety points around campus that chopped and changed according to Chris Shanks’ will – a member of the societies committee who organised the run. This gave the game a certain Hunger Games element, with him yelling into his radio in order to make it that bit harder for survivors.

All of the students we spoke to were having great fun. Many noted that it had been bigger last year and they wished more people had taken part.

There were 200 tickets on sale but only thirty or so students took part. There was panic at the beginning when no zombies turned up (not quite inkeeping with the theme, but never mind), but some survivors martyred themselves to zombie status instantly.

Unfortunately, many students on campus simply didn’t know it was going on, and every passer-by we spoke to said they would have gotten involved had they known it was happening.

There were rumours of a third game that we were going to partake in but instead, we came up with a prank.

For those of you that were trying to leave the library yesterday – soz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjNvBSLwc6g&feature=youtu.be