RGU win 2014 Boat Race

Aberdeen throw rival university a bone.

This reporter was too hungover to actually make the race, but here’s our coverage anyway.

Aberdeen vs RGU Boat Race 2014

The biggest sporting event in Aberdeen (that takes place on the river).

Ever tried rowing with your arms crossed? [Photo credit: Tricker PR]

After a year of solid training put in by RGU, they have taken home the gold today, winning the elusive respect of Aberdeen’s masses, by beating their old rival, Aberdeen University, in a nail-biting, stomach-turning race in a boat.

It seems the thrice-daily training sessions have paid off. Unfortunately, the AU team simply couldn’t put in the time as they had lectures to attend and degree classifications to achieve.

This year, RGU employed a new tactic of singing “Row, row, row your boat” in order to help their rowers keep in time and psych out the competition.

However, The Tab can reveal that two of those thrice-daily training sessions were devoted to helping their team learn the chant in full.

They also shed their clothes in order to make their boat slightly lighter and thus a little speedier. From this, we can exclusively reveal that, contrary to popular opinion, RGU men do have the full package in at least one area.

We’re JUST KIDDING.

Congratulations to RGU, you were oarsome, so twitter tells me.

Thankfully, in this sport, you sit down. [Photo credit: Tricker PR]