24 hour library may cause war

Duncan Rice will be opening its doors 24 hours next year – but what will this reduce us to?

It may be twenty-odd years behind other universities but Aberdeen is finally making moves to catch up and, it seems, listen to its student population.

At the AGM last night it was decided Duncan Rice library will now become a 24 hour site in which students can spend more time on their sixth century courses, diligently avoid their dissertations, and panic about what latest photo they’ve been tagged in on Facebook.

In a twist of events it seems we will have the opportunity to take back the £70,000 the library thieves from us each year in fines by saving on our own hot water and electricity.

Whilst this spells good news on the whole for students (the previous closing time of midnight was far too early for a body of people who only get up at 1pm) we have concerns about the effect it may have on Aberdeen’s student population. Considering property prices in Aberdeen and the wonderfully accommodating unisex bathrooms we predict a surge of students setting up camp in the library…permanently.

But it’s not all fun and games. Class systems may occur within our very own haven of education.

Much like Guys and Dolls it has been suggested there will be turf wars over the best and most comfortable floors in the library, and we don’t even want to think about the lengths people will go to to secure themselves a private study booth. A coveted spot on the 7th floor relaxation room may result in back-alley deals and seats going up for sale on the black market, corrupting the pure institution that is only trying to give us what we want.

The smell of freedom and choice in the near future may drive students mad. It may even over-power the dissatisfaction in the air. We wonder if that was the plan all along.

Ground rules will have to be made. Librarians will need to come in the form of bouncers. Students must respect the rules of shotgun.

Welcome to the Hunger Games.