RGU vs University of Aberdeen

Let’s settle this once and for all.

Last week we brought you Louisa and Wray.

This week we present to you: RGU vs. ABERDEEN UNI.

Here’s a rundown (we dodged that plagiarism bullet) of the facts:

The Name.

Robert Gordon University shortened its named in 1999 to Rob G Uni in the hopes that its students could finally spell the name of the university they were attending. Since then the university has lost more and more letters for the convenience of its students, currently using the acronym RGU, although there are rumours in the pipeline that the U may be dropped from the name next year.

Aberdeen University has shortened its name down to Abdn, which nobody uses as it is very difficult to pronounce. This dropping of random letters seemingly makes no sense! Either keep all the consonants or none of them! We propose the uni should change its abbreviation to either Abrdn or “…..”

RGU 1-0 Abrdn/…

The Campus.

The University of Aberdeen’s campus boasts many beautiful examples of 16th century architecture, such as the wonderful Kings College and Elphinstone Hall. Aberdeen also has the second largest teaching hospital campus in Europe, which is no mean feat! Unfortunately, it was decided by some clever clogs that both these campuses should be built more than a mile and a half away from each other, thus resulting in a sense of displacement and aggravation between the two.

Kings College early Monday morning, last week.

The Medical Campus will be holding a referendum later this year in an attempt to gain independence from Aberdeen University as a whole and become its own sovereign state.

The great divide.

RGU has overcome this problem by not offering a medical course at all.

RGU 2-0 Abrdn/…. 

Student Living.

RGU halls of residence are uncomfortably far away from the actual campus, and living in one of the rooms at Woolmanhill is like being a sardine shoved into a stone box filled with sweat, Lynx and the air of parental disappointment.

Bit of a jog for one lecture.

However, the halls of residence are also  more than comfortably close to the city center and many drinking establishments, showing that RGU do in fact have their priorities straight. The RGUnion is also close to hand, offering cheap food and drink to those who haven’t fallen to the level of going into Priory just yet, but also don’t have the money to get into Exodus after 12.

Dat Union, though.

Aberdeen halls of residence are located close to the campus in beautiful Hillhead, which boasts many facilities such as a recreation bubble, a bar, and its own shop! Hillhead is a mere 10 minute walk from Kings College, through the serene and relaxing atmosphere of Seaton Park.

“Who would live near a park like this?” – Lloyd Grossmann

However, it is over 45 minutes to walk from Hillhead to the city center.

And it’s near Seaton Park.

RGU 3-0 Abrdn/….

The Library.

Both having been recently built, neither library can boast having a long history of bookkeeping that garners them whatever kind of street cred it is that librarians have. So, we’ll just have to have a rundown of the facts about both:

Sir Duncan Rice Library:

• Open until Midnight most nights
  • Has an extensive range of new and special collections, some over 100 years old!
  • Has a café.

RGU Library:

• Not enough books to make a half-decent shelf-dominos effect in a B-rated action movie.
  • Only open until 10.30pm on weekdays.
  • Also has a café. However, its name is the “Learning Café”, which is misleading. Nobody goes to a café to learn. They go to drink coffee and talk about how they hate their degree. (Also, the café is not actually in the library)

Looking at these comparisons, it seems that RGU cannot hold a candle to the Duncan Rice Library of Aberdeen Uni. However, RGU’s library has the distinct advantage of not looking like a giant jizzed on a greenhouse…

Stained Glass Money Shot

RGU 4-0 Abrdn/…. 

Respect for attending these universities. 

…………….

…….

RGU 4 – 5 Abrdn/….

We hope that this article has been interesting and helpful in informing you on the best university to attend in Aberdeen.