Bigfoot stomps out the competition

Snafu making its mark in Aberdeen in its final days.

Musical madness, mayhem and melancholy overwhelmed the masses this Friday at Bigfoot’s Tea Party. With the impending closure of Snafu, the boys at Bigfoot had high expectations to meet as it could be Snafu’s last ever Friday event – and oh my, they did not let the team down.

Tickets sold out quickly resulting in massive queues winding around the building at ten o’clock for doors open, whilst those with tickets descended into the Snafu cave, waving goodbye to Saturday, as we all knew it was going to be a write-off. 

The atmosphere was electric with Robert Hood bouncing house, soul, techno and disco on the decks and a great vibe from the crowd. Despite being slightly over-packed, the Snafu bouncers told me how there was no trouble on Friday. The love for Snafu and the music was overwhelming as fellow partiers made friends with those around them creating a unified body that was practically a family by the end of the night – even the Dj’s were handing out water to the dancers squashed in at the front.

Snafu compensated for the over crowding by removing some of the furniture and creating a secondary dance floor for the lesser hardcore, an idea that I particularly enjoyed as it allowed for a more relaxed area before diving back into the madness on the main dance-floor.

The speakers boomed with ferocity, engulfing my entire body as I danced under one of the air vents – a favourited spot by many as the dance floor can get quite humid – a truly amazing experience of music and atmosphere.

The bar was busy all night, yet I never had to wait too long to be served with the bartenders working wonders to serve us all quickly. The time flew by fast and the next thing I knew it was 3am, closing time.

With a sunken heart I carried on dancing until the music stopped, another cheeky few tracks later from Robert Hood’s encore. The lights came up and everyone poured into the streets, still electric, a giant family who stopped and shared their experience of the night with one other.

It was a night that will be hard to beat, so great in fact that it reminds us how sad it is that Snafu is closing. I can’t wait to see what Bigfoot has in store for us next! Make sure you are head down for the Snafu closing parties this week.

Photo credit: Michael Smith

Long Live Snafu.

“Bigfoots tea party was an amazing send off for a club that had an brilliant family atmosphere! Everyone felt welcome in snafu and there was a massive turn out! It was a great way to bring in the end of an era!”

–  Robbie Stevenson, 21

“The night was incredible- great atmosphere, great music and great people- the epitome of everything we all love about Snafu.”

–  Sahar Sedaghat, 21

“Robert Hood played a great set with a good mix of people in the audience. A packed dance floor and a chilled out seating area made a perfect night for everyone.”

–  Mikey Smyth, 19

“Robert Hood was awesome, an amazing end for a special venue.”

– Nick Avlonitis, 25