Wray wrong with wrecent wreaction

Blair Hush gives a rundown of the Aberdeen “comedian” that tried to take on The Tab.

In the last few days, outrage broke on the Aberdeen clubbing scene – yes, you heard correctly – the ABERDEEN clubbing scene. In a clash rivalling that of Biggie and 2Pac, comedian met student in a showdown of mockery and disregard towards some of Aberdeen’s finest nightclubs…

Last week, Wray Thomson, a comedian of many “witty” words, started a cycle of reviews on the most popular nightclubs in Aberdeen by posting on his personal Facebook account.

Wray, being a solid fixture in all of these establishments, is clearly the only person qualified to pass judgement. There goes very few nights when Wray is not seen fist-pumping on Priory dance floor or necking a VK in Institute VIP. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I DIDN’T see Wray on a night out.

For this reason, I feel it is he, and ONLY he who is allowed an opinion on the current state of Aberdeen nightlife.

A few days after Wray had finished his Nightclub Rundown The Tab reporter, Louisa Clark, took it upon herself to allegedly “steal” all of Wray’s hard work and pass it off as her own.

Being a student, but more importantly a LAX GAL, Louisa has attended her fair share of clubs in her near 4 year residency in Aberdeen. Louisa decided to write an article titled Aberdeen Club Caricatures to sum up her quirky take on each nightclub’s unique selling point.

Unlike Wray’s generic, obvious take on Aberdeen nightlife, Louisa included current problems faced by the every-day student without the mention of “bathroom rape” – how she managed that, I have no idea…

The Tab acknowledges that it is not JUST students that attend nightclubs in Aberdeen – Priory especially seem to attract a huge variety of ages, social backgrounds, species…

I’m not saying that Wray is out of touch with reality; I just feel that it wouldn’t hurt for Wray to actually attend the clubs he’s passing judgement on (going in to use the toilet doesn’t count).

Wray has since started his own comedic page named “The Tap”. According to Wray’s logic, if we were to look at the ‘p’ upside down we could get him for plagiarism. Ironically enough “The Tap” has been nothing but a drain on those who have to read it and its incessant hunger for publicity.

Good thing no one else has ever thought of doing that.

We’re not sure that this kind of sex actually sells…

Just an FYI – in five hours they reached 378 likes. Well done, boys. Real shame it’s  a public domain you’ll be posting on and therefore have no rights whatsoever to what you publish…

In response to Wray’s ridiculous claims I have decided to start my own ‘rundown’ of Aberdeen culture within the city, focussing primarily on comedy.

Let me introduce to you:

The Tab’s Aberdeen COMEDIAN Rundown

Aberdeen Comedian Rundown – Wray Thomson

I viewed what Wray had to offer on Youtube. It is important to note that things do tend to seem funnier in the presence of others, but to say I sat watching emotionless is an understatement.

I acknowledge that breaking into the stand-up comedy business is a difficult task – not many ever make it big – but sometimes it does help to actually be funny…

If a display of obvious humour is what you’re after, Wray’s the man for the job. He prides himself on his hometown, Fraserburgh, in a relatable rant of how “shite” the place is – but isn’t that the same for most Scottish towns?

In fact, he refers back to his hometown so much it would seem Wray lacks genuine experience in his life (perhaps the reason for his recent attack on The Tab’s journalists).

In a “cunt-filled” set, unnecessary swearing really is the key to getting laughs, or at least it would appear he thinks so. Wray plays on the cognitive immaturity of his audience. He’s dealing with the kind of people that find “BOOBIES!” hilarious. So, if in doubt, Wray swears excessively to get a few cheap laughs.

I was unsure if the audience were laughing with Wray or at him, but he seems popular with them nonetheless – I’m unsure whether audience members were friends and family of Wray or whether payment was arranged in exchange for laughs.

Another focus point for Wray was Facebook – clearly an avid user, I wonder whether his comedy would actually become better if he stayed off the blue.

I now understand why Wray was outraged – not only had Louisa STOLEN his idea of a club review, she had stolen it from looking at his personal Facebook page. The HORROR.

Anyway, back to the “comedy”… There’s not really much comedy to talk about. All in all, Wray Thomson seems to have great execution, but of very poor, low frequency ideas.

A better career path could well be a children’s entertainer, but he would need to be careful with the language.

Here is The Tab’s ratings for Wray’s stand up:

• Likelihood of being accused of plagiarism – 10/10
  • Possibility of laughter (if Scottish “dirty” talk is right up your street) – 2/10
  • Possibility of being left insulted (whether this is directly, or by his lack of tact and comedic prowess, it is unknown) – 7/10
  • Possibility of saying something funnier during the trip to the bar – 8/10

I hope that Wray and Louisa can both set aside their differences and continue with their comedic journalism without the fear of both plagiarism and unfounded claims of such. Maybe meet up for a drink? Priory anyone?

Like us on Facebook for your daily dose of Tab or follow us on Twitter.