Neknominate vs Nicenominate

Louisa Clark marks the rise and fall of 2014’s biggest trend so far and gives some suggestions on how to keep Nicenominate alive around Aberdeen

Neknominate took the world by storm when, through the wonder that is social networking, videos of people downing a pint and then nominating friends went viral. It escalated quickly ranging from videos of people downing a pint of vodka to doing breakfast in a pint:

Due to the fact that people wanted to keep their posts interesting and original, some cases took a turn for the worst, resulting in some consuming dangerous amounts of alcohol and, in extreme cases, death. This is why the emergence of Nicenominate videos has brought back the exciting aspect of its original Neknominate counter-part.

The video of a South African giving a sandwich and drink to a homeless person exploded into the social networking world, causing Nicenominate to go viral within a matter of days:

In Glasgow, a student donated a pint of blood for his nomination, displaying that our generation does more than just drink.

His video inspired many and the idea of ‘paying it forward’ with Nicenominate has gone worldwide, demonstrated by British student Sami Dabbagh  currently studying in Singapore who, upon seeing the Glaswegian’s Nicenominate video, went to donate blood himself as part of an NUS blood donation drive once he was nominated himself.

In the spirit of the trend here are a few Nicenominate ideas that can be done in Aberdeen:

1. We’ve all seen the homeless population on Union Street -next time you’re out on the lash buy them a drink (one of the non-alcoholic varieties would probably be best) or a burger from McDonalds. For video purposes a serenade would go a long way.

2. Easter eggs are now on offer. Why not make an early Easter deposit to the children’s home on King Street, videoing the ensuing sugar high that will undoubtedly follow.

3. Take part in the strikes for your lecturers. Do this by donating a pint of water over Ian Diamonds head. Read why here

4. Deliver a package of condoms to the first year halls of residence. We suggest that you don’t video the results of this carnage.

5. Finally you could combine both Neknominate and Nicenominate. Take part in AUSA charities mystery bar crawl this Saturday, for more information click here: Get crunk for cash

Tweet your own Nicenominate suggestions and videos to @TheTabAberdeen or post on our Facebook page.