Uni monk’s sex conviction overturned

Mark Paterson cleared

A monk who worked at the University of Aberdeen’s chaplaincy has had his indecent assault charge quashed after eight years.

Mark Paterson was placed on the sex offenders register and ordered to carry out 200 hours of community service after a 5 day trial at Aberdeen Sheriff Court in 2006.

After his trial the university’s Catholic Society said it believed a miscarriage of justice had taken place.

Aberdeen Uni chaplaincy

55-year old Paterson had allegedly assaulted the woman, who at the time of the trial had been described as “vulnerable”, while he was working as a Carmelite Friar at the chaplaincy centre between 2002 and 2004.

But in 2012 the case was referred to appeal judges by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission and new evidence presented that challenged the testimony of the female witness.

Mr Paterson has said he is “over the moon” with Lady Smith’s judgement, who heard the appeal with Lady Dorrian and Lord Philip.

Lady Smith said: “In those circumstances we will allow this appeal in relation to the fresh evidence and non-disclosure grounds and the outcome is the conviction will be quashed.”