Aberdeen City Council Lose £31,100 of Artwork

News Flash!
The Tab was wrong. Aberdeen IS a cultural wasteland!

Aberdeen’s modern art scene may well be pulsing to a vibrant beat (https://thetab.com/uk/aberdeen/2013/11/25/seeninthedeen-art-beer-and-beards/) but the same, it seems, cannot be said of its more venerable cousin. Aberdeen City Council announced (or should that be admitted, guiltily, as one would after breaking your flatmate’s favourite mug?) today that they have managed to lose 20 pieces of artwork worth £31,100 in total. Some of the pieces have been missing for almost 90 years.

Ray Charles is blind. What’s the council’s excuse?

While we can perhaps look kindly on such carelessness in the 1920s (I personally find it amusing when old people make mistakes; my grandmother loves falling over in the middle of roads and it never fails to bring a smile to my face) ought we to be so lenient in this day and age?

NO CRUMPLED GRANNY JOKES

In the same statement the Council talked up their ‘commitment to good practice‘ while making the bold claim that ‘if any of the artworks appears in public in the future, we will be able to establish that we are the rightful owners of the piece.

One can only marvel at the kind of technology needed for this tricky verification process – would a working pair of eyes do the trick?