AU Stick Their Oar – and harpoon – In

How is a dog and a marine biologist different?
While one wags its tail the other tags a whale.

Well that was up until Aberdeen University went and used data taken from Icelandic whaling companies. Robert Marsland; the UK director the International Fund for Animal Welfare said ‘the UK has been and should continue to be a world leader in whale conservation. Shockingly, the University of Aberdeen has been instead promoting Iceland’s whaling via its research.’

He’s not happy.

By doing this our University has inadvertently condoned the breaking of a global ban on commercial whaling in 1986. Apparently it didn’t take us that long to realise that mercilessly wiping the seas clean of our fellow mammals may not be such a great idea.

She’s pretty pissed off.

Iceland and Japan are the only two nations on Earth to weasel their way around that law and partake in a good bit of whale bashing. They do this by claiming that the reason they fire a 6-9 foot harpoon into the harmless mammal and pull it to the surface, firing rocket-proppelled grenades and high calibre bullets into the defenceless, bloody flesh of the screaming animal is for scientific purposes.

That, in this humble reporter’s opinion, is just not cricket.

You know what they say about a guy with a big harpoon…

Someone in the Aberdeen University scientific elite has been the first person to give the go-ahead (accidentally or not) on the usage of the findings of these despicable hunters and now somebody somewhere has a lot of egg on their face.