I AM BNOC: Academic Life

Our guide continues with the classroom etiquette of the poor and famous. After extensive searching not a single photo of a BNOC in a classroom could be found. Make do with google.

A BNOC will never hear the phrase “all work and no play” applied to them; in fact the inverse is definitely more true. They wholly embrace the social aspect of university life, accidentally forgetting that their actual degree is the reason for them being at uni in the first place. Oops.

It’s unlikely that their Thursday 9am tutor will have ever clapped eyes on the elusive BNOC. Books on the course list are never bought as a rule, and all work is hastily done 1 hour before – that’s if they’ve been unable to secure an extension on the premise of a sketchy email claiming “another relative has died” this time.

Smug grin in uni? He’s not a BNOC.

Lectures are seen as fully optional. On the rare occurrence of actually attending them, the BNOC chooses to kick back and browse Facebook (checking the like count on their most recent photographic triumph) rather to actually listen to the droning of the oblivious lecturer. During a particularly dull lecture, they will perhaps play a game (or ten) of Dating Ariane to pass the time. (http://arianeb.com/dategame.htm)

Deadlines are one of the many difficulties in the life of a BNOC, an inconvenience and an interruption to what they would rather be doing – standing in VIP covered from head to toe in tropical VK’s. C6’s are inevitable and dutifully amassed throughout the term, and are mercifully resolved by a quick email declaring “crippling homesickness”.

Funny face, weird grimacing woman with dyed hair and a piano? No BNOCs in sight.

The library is a place they rarely frequent asides from a rare social call, putting in an odd appearance to see their more studious (read: boring) friends whilst aimlessly doing laps of the giant hole to make sure they’re seen by all.

Most annoyingly of all, they will probably miraculously manage to pull it out of the bag and pass their exams despite a last-minute attempt to learn the entire content of the course the night before in a Red-Bull fuelled all-nighter.