SAAS is in and Meat’s Back on the Menu Boys…

So your funds are finally up after a couple of weeks of surviving on poverty noodles, it’s most definitely time to splurge on good quality meat.

Tonight we’re cooking lamb chops with rosemary, served with mashed potatoes, green beans and beetroot salad.

Ingredients:

• Good quality lamb chops (1-2 per person)
  • Potatoes (1-2 per person)
  • 1 handful of frozen garden peas per person
  • 1 handful of green beans per person
  • 1 beetroot
  • 2 carrots
  • Milk
  • Butter
  • Crème fraiche
  • Fresh rosemary
  • Oil
  • Salt
  • Lemon juice
  • Cardamom pods

Firstly, try to find as high quality lamb as you can. The Hammerton Store on Great Western Road sells mind-blowingly good organic Aberdonian lamb chops at around £4.80 for two (plus receive a cheeky 15% discount on frozen meats for students). Marinate the chops in rapeseed/olive oil, salt and fresh rosemary (available for about £1 in supermarkets).

Serve your meat with your veg and potatoes et voila, you have a balanced, healthy and delicious meal.

Whilst the meat is marinating, peel, chop and boil your potatoes. Once cooked, drain and add a splash of milk, hunk of butter and spoonful of crème fraiche. Mash well until smooth and stir through cooked peas and add plenty of salt.

Cook green beans (available frozen from supermarkets) along with the peas and serve piping hot with butter melted over the top.

Peel and grate your beetroot along with a couple of carrots. Toast cardamom pods over a hob and burst the seeds into your mixture. Add salt, oil and lemon juice then give it a good mix.

Heat your oven to about 200 degrees or your grill to medium and pop your lamb chops in for about 5-10 minutes until the meat is brown and fat turns crispy.