Fits fer Tea?

Sick and tired of shitty, fatty takeaways and tasteless readymade meals? Here’s our resident cook, tracking down local produce and cooking them up into delicious delicacies. This week we tackle an Aberdonian classic; fish and chips with mint peas.

Average take away price: £ 6.60-7.70

Average take away calorie content: 1,920

Homemade price (per portion): £2.75

Homemade (estimated) calorie content: 595

Ingredients

• Fillet of fresh haddock, cod or pollock (1 per person)
  • 50g cornflour
  • 50g plain flour (plus extra for coating)
  • 1 egg (organic, obviously)
  • 125ml sparkling water
  • Potatoes (roughly 2 per person- dirty potatoes work best)
  • 500ml sunflower oil
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • Chilli flakes/powder
  • Peas (two spoons per person)
  • Fresh mint
  • Lemon and ketchup, for serving

We picked up fresh haddock (caught that morning- well done fishermen) from D Nicoll Fishmongers in Rosemount, Aberdeen. Our locally harvested potatoes came from the Hammerton Store (Great Western road, many more fab ingredients from there to come).

It can be very difficult to make the perfect batter for your fish, but done right you will never look back.  Firstly, coat your fillets (one per person) in plain flour. In a bowl, mix the cornflour with the plain flour and season with salt and pepper. Gently whisk one egg white until white and bubbly then add to the mix. Whilst stirring, add the sparkling water (we resorted to lemonade, equally effective).  Heat a deep frying pan with the sunflower oil. Test the temperature by putting a tiny bit of your batter in the pan-it should “bubble” in the oil.  Coat each of your fish in the batter and add to the pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes until crispy, turning it over halfway through.  They should be golden brown and crisp to touch when fully cooked.

Meanwhile prepare the potatoes. Give them a good scrub and chop up into wedges. Parboil your prepared potatoes by boiling them for 5-8 minutes until they begin to soften, this reduces the cooking time greatly. Drain and add the potatoes to a baking tray before seasoning with plenty of sunflower oil, salt, garlic and chilli flakes. Pop these into a pre heated oven (200 C) and leave for 30-40 minutes until golden and crispy.

Finally, the peas are the simplest part. Cook two heaped spoons per person, drain and add plenty of butter and chop through some fresh mint.

Et voila! You have your perfect fish supper, all you have to do is plate up and serve with lemon wedges and ketchup (not forgetting a cheeky pic for instagram).

Mention Tab and show your student ID at Hammerton Store on Great Western Road for 15% off of high quality frozen meats. Fer yer tea!