Aberdeen Uni: East Coast Ballin’

Aberdeen Uni be blowing fat stacks #BMF.

Aberdeen Uni made it rain again last year and there are no signs of a let-up.

After spending £28mil on the Aberdeen Sports Village (part-funded by the City Council and Sport Scotland) in 2009, spending £20mil on the Sutie Centre (me neither) and spending £57mil on the new library the university celebrated its spending spree by intaking more female students than males for the first time in its history.

The lavish spending isn’t over yet with another £150 million being expected to be spent by 2019, so don’t worry if you have to retake a few years. Just tell your parents you’re tactically delaying for that new swimming pool. It’s got an adjustable floor for Christ’s sake!

Although we dropped from 39th place in the Times Good University Guide league tables to 40th we can be proud of our research departments who had half their work labelled as ‘world-leading’ or internationally excellent by the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise.

That library, incidentally, has been named as one of the 12 best new buildings in Scotland and collected an award from the Royal Institute of British Architects. So stop moaning and be happy that the big wigs are shelling out big style on us.

Obviously far more importantly than any of that we are still ranked above RGU. Although the gap has closed from 11 places to nine…